About Anne M. Carpenter
Federal contractors and regulated entities turn to Anne Carpenter to help them navigate investigations, government enforcements and potential debarment or suspension from federal contracts. As an award-winning author on the subject of regulatory enforcement and corporate compliance, Anne is a trusted voice when legal crises threaten her clients' businesses.
Charting a course through a rising regulatory tide
Anne represents clients in technically complex civil and criminal matters, including in multiagency government investigations and enforcement actions, suspension or debarment proceedings, corporate internal investigations and corporate compliance counseling. She regularly advises and represents clients with significant federal contracts before agency suspension and debarment offices, including the Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Suspension and Debarment.
Anne defends clients in criminal enforcements against oil and gas clients under the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act and in civil enforcements against homebuilder clients under the Clean Water Act's National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit program and state-delegated equivalents. Most recently, she conducted compliance counseling for a global energy company in connection with implementing a federal administrative agreement, and she helped a client respond to what may be one of the first OSHA criminal enforcement actions following the announcement of the federal Worker Endangerment Initiative.
Anne co-authors Bloomberg BNA's Daily Environment Report's annual survey, "The State of Environmental Crime Enforcement: A Survey of Developments." In 2012, she received the prestigious Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing in 2012 for her work on the report. Anne co-authored "Clean Air Act Criminal Enforcement" in the fourth edition of the American Bar Association's Clean Air Act Handbook, and she has presented webinars on trends in environmental criminal enforcement for both Bloomberg BNA and the ABA's Section of Environment and Energy.
Prior to entering the field of law, Anne worked as an educator for the New York City Soil and Water Conservation District, where she directed programs for high school and elementary school students in Harlem and across New York City’s five boroughs.
- Environmental law
- Government contracts
- Regulatory agency investigations and enforcement by the EPA, OSHA and others
- Internal investigations and compliance counseling
- Settlement and administrative agreement negotiations
- Represented a Fortune 10 oil and gas company in civil and criminal investigations related to environmental and workplace safety issues.
- Represented international shipping company in trial and sentencing for alleged violations of the Act to Prevent Pollution From Ships.
- Represent client through extensive environmental compliance obligations imposed as terms and conditions of state-issued criminal probation.
- Represented of one of the largest US water services providers in a hearing before the EPA's Office of Suspension and Debarment in opposition to the client's post-indictment suspension. Resulted in the lifting of the suspension. An agreement to lift the suspension was obtained before trial, and the client was acquitted on all charges.
- Represented international shipping company in investigation of alleged violations of the Act to Prevent Pollution From Ships. Obtained declination of criminal charges.
- Represented international shipping company before the EPA Office of Suspension and Debarment. Executed administrative agreement to avoid suspension from participation in federal contracts and receipt of federal funds.
- Represented global provider of oil and gas labor and production services in interagency suspension and debarment proceeding.
- Represent American multinational energy corporation's hydraulic fracturing operations during an extensive government investigation. Conduct site visits and witness interviews, work with technical consultants, and prepare presentations for the EPA.
- Represented one of the world's largest providers of wastewater management solutions in a CWA federal jury trial. Client was acquitted on all charges.
- Represented cementing engineer in government investigation of the Deepwater Horizon incident.
- Extensive internal investigation of fatality at client's oil and gas exploration and production facility.
- Secondment for six months to energy client's internal environmental safety and law group regarding contaminated site remediation matters, including issues related to the purchase and sale of assets.
- Represent leading lawn and garden manufacturer in one of the largest FIFRA civil and criminal enforcement matters.
- Routinely advise national homebuilding and major civil engineering and construction client on CWA stormwater compliance matters. Negotiated agreement with federal regulators to resolve alleged stormwater violations. Assist in assessment and implementation of stormwater compliance plans.
June 11, 2019
April 19, 2019
June 14, 2018
August 1, 2017
Pace Law School Alumni Magazine Profiles Environmental Attorney Anne CarpenterOctober 4, 2016
December 13, 2012
June 15, 2012
October 18, 2018
May 1, 2017
February 24, 2017
Criminal Prosecution of Environmental and Workplace Safety Incidents Through DOJ's New Worker Endangerment InitiativeFebruary 7, 2017
Criminal Prosecution of Environmental and Workplace Safety Incidents Through DOJ's New Worker Endangerment InitiativeJuly 2016
May 2, 2016
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
July 9, 2015