About Daniel P. Shapiro
When disputes and litigation threaten to upend their businesses, clients turn to Daniel Shapiro for solutions. A ferocious advocate for his clients, Dan identifies the strengths of his client's position, develops realistic objectives with the client, and then fights vigorously for that result. Dan is a litigator clients trust, over and over again, with their most serious disputes.
Litigation focused on business goals
From developing aggressive strategies in bet-the-company litigation to negotiating dispute resolutions that give security to a fledgling business, Dan understands business and he keeps his clients' interests and objectives front and center.
- Business disputes and commercial litigation
- Joint venture and partnership disputes
- Complex class-action defense
- RICO litigation
- Arbitration and alternative dispute resolution
- Defended Chicago-area university medical center in qui tam Federal False Claims Act case. The lawsuit alleged that the hospital submitted false claims to Medicare and Medicaid over a 14-year period because of alleged noncompliance with teaching physician rules.
- Represent member of one of the nation’s wealthiest families in claims regarding various trust and probate matters.
- Represent private equity firm in litigation with state attorney general regarding a tribal lending business. Claim value is asserted to be in excess of $100 million.
- Represent privately held company in litigation relating to $40 million claim by minority shareholder.
- Defended senior officer and his new employer in multi-jurisdiction, "bet the company" ($200+ million) litigation brought by a public company—the senior officer's former employer.
- Represented senior officer of a real estate investment company in the separation of the senior officer's interests from the company. Included successful litigation relating to post-employment rights and obligations and protection of the client's new venture.
- Represent several large national banks in a series of federal court consumer class actions.
- Appeal to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Successfully reversed district court order preventing client from entering a market worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
- Provide representation in connection with theft of trade secrets and breach of covenants not-to-compete in seven-day trial in Circuit Court of Cook County.
- Represent medical center teaching hospital in putative consumer class action accusing the hospital of violating Illinois lien law.
- Represented foreign corporation against a Fortune 100 domestic corporation regarding industrial machinery in a seven-week jury trial in federal court.
- Provide representation in connection with a multimillion-dollar commercial real estate brokerage commission dispute in a four-day arbitration.
- Represent high-net-worth individual in federal court litigation to recover substantial charitable gift where the terms of the gift were breached by the donee.
- Defended leading national commercial lender in $100 million+ securities fraud class action and related multidistrict litigation proceedings relating to the public sale of subordinated notes. Persuaded US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit under F.R.C.P. 23(f) to reverse district court's class certification order.
- Represented lender on all counts of a $115 million securities fraud claim following a five-day hearing in North Carolina. Plaintiffs were advancing various theories of lender liability on behalf of the purchasers of defaulted subordinated debt issued by our client’s borrower.
- Defended leading commercial lender against creditors seeking to set aside lender’s $110 million lien in five-day trial in Delaware bankruptcy court.
- Represent large private equity firm in investigation, crisis management and litigation following a high-profile accident and loss at a portfolio company.
- Represented proprietary trading firm against a former employee who had converted to his own use the firm’s proprietary trading and related information.
- Defended one of the nation’s largest public accounting firms in an emergency proceeding seeking injunctive relief to prevent that firm from ending its alternative practice structure.
- Represent prominent philanthropist in dispute regarding the implementation of terms of a grant agreement directing the use of a $100 million gift.
November 8, 2010
July 1, 2008
Using Class Action Waiver and Arbitration Clauses to Mitigate Cyber Breach RiskMarch 23, 2016
Six Things Every Collections Firm Should Know About the Consumer Financial Protection BureauMay 1, 2013
March 14, 2013
September 25, 2009
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
Co-Presenter | E Discovery and Considerations for Boards of DirectorsMay 17, 2016
ModeratorJanuary 7, 2016
The Knowledge Congress Webcast SeriesClass Action for Attorneys: Hot Topics in 2012September 24, 2012
Speaker | Defending Against an Influx of Consumer Class Action Lawsuits and Pursuing Class Action Claims Against MCOsAugust 1, 2012
Speaker | New Developments: Cases Involving Foreign DefendantsMay 9–10, 2011
PanelistJuly 27, 2010
Speaker | Cases Involving Foreign DefendantsMay 6–7, 2010
French American Bar AssociationUS Class Actions With Non US Citizens As Class Members: Fairness Issues Considered,February 1, 2010
Chicago Bar AssociationThe Future of Nationwide Class ActionsMarch 1, 2007