About Danna L. Horton
Danna Horton helps capital providers seeking to generate — or preserve — investments. Danna respects her clients' time and offers practical solutions, ever mindful of her clients’ business objectives, while keeping transactions on time and within budget and handling both the big and small details.
Practical, efficient real estate financing
Danna focuses her practice on complex commercial real estate transactions, primarily in real estate finance. Her clients include ground landlords, lenders, borrowers, private equity funds, REITs and insurance companies, and she regularly advises clients on long-term ground leases and sale‑leasebacks. Danna also frequently counsels lenders and borrowers in the origination of industrial, multifamily, retail and office construction loans (mortgage and mezzanine) and on refinancing and acquisition loans secured by all types of real estate, as well as loan modifications and loan workouts. She also advises investors and operators in real estate acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures and represents community and philanthropic organizations in real estate and corporate pro bono matters.
- Real estate ground leases and sale-leasebacks
- Real estate finance and lending
- Acquisitions and sales
- Restructuring and disposing of distressed assets and loans
- Loan modifications, loan workouts and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transactions
Ground leasing transactions
- Represent public company client in its first acquisition, following its initial public offering, of two new, Class A multifamily projects on Los Angeles' Hollywood Boulevard.
- Represent public company client in the acquisition, and simultaneous origination of a 99-year ground lease, of 13 acres of vacant land for construction of medical office buildings in Forsyth, Georgia.
- Represent institutional investor in its acquisition of a long-term lease for a hotel in San Antonio, Texas, and the creation of a second long-term lease for the street retail on the first floor underneath the hotel.
- Represent ground landlord in the acquisition, and simultaneous origination of a 99-year ground lease, of a 7-story office building on 1.83 acres on Peachtree Street in Midtown Atlanta. Also represent in related joint venture agreement.
- Represent public company in the acquisition, and simultaneous origination of a 99-year ground lease, of two office buildings in Cary, North Carolina.
- Represent client in the sale of the leasehold interests, and simultaneous origination of a 99-year ground lease, of two properties originally leased to a food supplier and distributor in Miami, Florida.
- Represent a bank in a loan modification for a Miami Beach hotel in connection with a government-mandated closure of the hotel and the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Represent a senior-housing borrower in connection with a Fannie Mae loan extension and modification related to a project-wide renovation and the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Represent mezzanine lender in financing the renovation of the former Cook County Hospital building in Chicago.
- Represent a bank in its construction loan for a mixed-use retail and multifamily building in Chicago's Logan Square.
- Represent three ground landlords as borrower in fee financings for properties in Washington, DC, and Nashville, Tennessee.
- Represent a REIT as borrower in its mezzanine loan for the Ace Hotel in Brooklyn.
Acquisitions and dispositions
- Represent seller of a marina, operating business and real estate in Naples, Florida.
- Represent real estate client in the sale of a multifamily apartment building near Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Represent investment advisory services firm in its disposition of a multifamily apartment complex in the Chicago suburbs for approximately $80 million.
- Represent corporate client in acquisition and construction of a manufacturing facility in Lockport, Illinois.
- Represent seller of land in downtown Nashville business district.
August 1, 2017