About Melanie Tomanov
Melanie Tomanov turns her clients’ creative ideas into thriving businesses and careers. She does this by representing studios and production companies, as well as creators, writers and directors, in developing projects, signing deals and launching businesses. Melanie understands both sides of the negotiating table and she brings that perspective — plus her knowledge of IP, the entertainment industry and dealmaking — to bear in making her clients’ ideas a reality.
From creative spark to greenlit production
Melanie helps her clients build production companies and produce content. She represents major studios, production companies, animation studios, toy companies, video game companies and technology companies. She also works with a large group of clients who are creators, writers, artists, producers and directors in the entertainment industry. Melanie understands the entire production process — from early stages of development through production, delivery, distribution, merchandising and beyond.
Melanie's entertainment and media law practice is wide ranging and includes complex copyright and trademark matters, merchandising and licensing, digital entertainment, interactive games, mobile apps, technology, sports, talent agencies and traditional aspects of entertainment legal work. She regularly helps clients in the development, production, cofinancing, distribution and exploitation of motion pictures, television, online entertainment and other entertainment properties. Melanie represents clients in the United States and around the world.
- Entertainment and media
- Complex copyright and trademark matters
- Interactive games, mobile apps, virtual reality and technology
- Licensing and merchandising
- Entrepreneurial ventures
- Private client services
- Represent major studio in connection with potential acquisition of major comic strip characters, including sophisticated analysis of US copyright termination issues.
- Represent major independent studio in connection with numerous new media distribution agreements (video on demand, subscription video on demand, electronic sell-through, download to own, etc.).
- Represent global media and entertainment company in connection with its potential acquisition of MGM.
- Represent major studio in connection with sale of significant film library.
- Represent quasi-governmental sports organization in organizing and hosting Summer Olympic Games.
- Represent television production company in securing distribution with Nick Jr. and other contracts related to rollout of new children's television program.
- Represent Japanese Academy Award-winning actor in his agreements with US motion picture studios.
- Represent toy manufacturer in licensing rights to notable television and motion picture properties.
- Represent major independent studio in connection with developing video game based on a highly acclaimed reality television series.
July 15, 2020
July 1, 2015
April 14, 2015