About Nadira Clarke
A formidable litigator with first-chair trial experience, Nadira Clarke represents clients in high-stakes matters. A former federal prosecutor, she is sought after for her aggressive defense of corporations and executives facing large-scale, multi-faceted governmental investigations. Calm and decisive by nature, she provides valuable leadership in crisis.
Extensive prosecutorial experience
Nadira previously served as an assistant US attorney for the District of Maryland and a special assistant US attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia. Well versed in the discipline of corporate compliance and business ethics, she works with two separate corporate monitor teams, overseeing the implementation of enhanced compliance programs at companies following criminal prosecution. She previously served as counsel to the Department of Justice's (DOJ) Office of Professional Responsibility, where she led internal professional ethics investigations targeting federal prosecutors and high-ranking DOJ officials.
Nadira has obtained a number of highly favorable resolutions on behalf of clients. Following a high-profile joint federal and state investigation, she obtained a declination of all criminal and civil charges. In another well-known case, she secured the dismissal of all felony counts of an indictment charging her corporate client.
Early in her career, Nadira served in the highly selective US Attorney General's Honors Program for the DOJ, and worked as a trial attorney with the Environment and Natural Resources Division, including the Environmental Crimes Section and the Natural Resource Section. She served as a special assistant to the assistant attorney general for the DOJ's Environmental and Natural Resources Division.
- White-collar defense
- Environmental crimes
- Represent a global energy services company under criminal investigation for fraud related to inspection services provided to oil and gas production platforms.
- Represented a global provider of labor and production services criminally charged in a multi-fatality incident on an oil and gas production platform.
- Represent oil company in criminal investigation into a pipeline release.
- Represent a Fortune 100 company in federal and state investigations of a multi-fatality incident at a chemical manufacturing plant.
- Represent company targeted in combined state/federal criminal investigation of alleged improper reporting of emissions in violation of the Clean Air Act.
- Represent individual employee of a shipping company under criminal investigation in connection with tampering with a pollution prevention device and illegal discharge of pollutants into waters of the United States.
- Represented an international oil and gas services company in Suspension & Debarment proceedings before federal agencies relating to potential disqualification from participation in federal contracts and related subcontracts.
- Represent energy services company charged with criminal OSHA violations concerning a hot work-related fatality.
- Represent an energy company in a civil enforcement action involving alleged violations of state air emission regulations.
- Counsel manufacturing company in securing a declination from the Department of Justice in a multi-facility federal grand jury investigation involving allegations of illegal dumping of hazardous waste, bypassing of a treatment system, improper waste disposal and failure to report waste releases.
- Represented a leading independent provider of services to the global power generation industry before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in an investigation involving allegations of market manipulation and fraud in the sale of power to an independent system operator responsible for the operation of a region’s electrical power system.
- Represented metal plating company in multi-facility federal investigation of violations of Clean Water Act. Successfully negotiated declination.
- Lead internal investigation involving potential Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act violations at a coke manufacturing facility.
- Lead confidential internal investigations at the Department of Justice involving allegations of professional misconduct by Assistant Attorneys Generals, US Attorneys, Assistant US Attorneys and other Department of Justice lawyers.
- Lead internal investigation into whistleblower allegations of fraud by a municipal water services provider. *
- Successfully defended large public utility in three-week products liability trial.
- Represent petroleum manufacturer in a series of federal and state product liability cases involving alleged groundwater contamination by gasoline additive.
June 11, 2019
June 10, 2019
April 19, 2019
March 21, 2019
June 17, 2018
June 14, 2018
May 11, 2018
September 26, 2017
September 26, 2017
- View All News
May 1, 2017
DeCoster Rehearing Denied—Food and Beverage Company Executives Face Risks of Prosecution as Responsible Corporate OfficersDecember 21, 2016
August 8, 2016
December 18, 2015
DOJ and DOL Expand Worker Endangerment Initiative in Addressing Environmental and Worker Safety CrimesDecember 18, 2015
Presentations and Events
April 10–12, 2019
Special Institute on Today's Environmental Agencies: Regulatory Enforcement, Citizen Suits, and the Natural Resources IndustriesDecember 6–7, 2018
November 12–14, 2018
September 20–21, 2018
October 10–12, 2017
October 3, 2017
March 8–10, 2017
Responding to a Workplace Safety Incident: Private Sector Perspectives on a Changed Landscape After the New Enforcement InitiativeNovember 10, 2016
June 23–24, 2016
- View All Presentations and Events