About Noah R. Balch
In-house legal departments and corporate boards have long viewed legal disputes as a cost of doing business, and they focus on minimizing those costs as much as possible. As a litigator with more than 14 years of experience in federal and state courts, Noah Balch works with in-house teams to flip that dynamic, using smart litigation strategies to find creative solutions that minimize payouts and add value. He also negotiates and closes significant business deals in real estate, banking, finance, sports and entertainment.
Resolving disputes to add value across industries
When the economy experienced declines in the wake of the mortgage securities crisis, Noah took the lead on commercial construction disputes for his lender clients. Noah understands how to structure a commercial loan to safeguard disbursements and address entitlements and environmental review. When a dispute arises, Noah knows how to litigate claims, clear title and manage insurance-related issues.
Understanding the business life cycle from startup to multinational conglomerate allows him to view his clients' issues through two lenses: one for legal solutions and another for business implications and opportunities. This allows him to solve problems while keeping an eye on his clients' bottom line.
Prior to earning his MBA and law degrees, Noah owned and operated a concert promotion, music booking and record label business. Noah continues to work in the music, art and entertainment industries, helping musicians, artists and entertainment companies protect their work and leverage their IP assets.
Using similar strategies, Noah also negotiates and closes significant business deals in real estate, banking, finance and sports. He represents major league sports teams, athletes and athletic organizations, protecting their rights and organizing major sporting events.
- Commercial lending and construction-related disputes
- Real estate transactions and litigation
- Distressed debt and financial services litigation
- Protection and enforcement of IP rights
- Private equity and investment portfolios
- Sports and entertainment law, including sponsorship, hospitality, branding and social media issues
Music and technology
- Protect works and intellectual property of visual and sculptural artists from non-licensing entities attempting to use the works for commercial benefit.
- Represent an author in a dispute with a major newspaper over unlicensed publication of the client's property.
- Protect, enforce and manage intellectual property portfolios for celebrities, musicians and institutional organizations.
- Represent a digital and modeling management company in contractual and litigation matters involving talent and competing management companies. Advise on FTC advertising law.
- Represent a celebrity musician's estate in litigation over intellectual property, publicity, privacy and workers' compensation issues.
- Protect intellectual property for a cartoonist, writer, producer and animator, including preventing counterfeiting in the United States and abroad, and completing transactions related to development of mobile application.
Real estate litigation
- Defend a national bank against alleged statutory violations of FDCPA, TILA, ACNA, RESPA and CLRA.
- Defend a bank’s redemption of securities prior to maturity and defeat a related class certification motion.
- Co-chaired a jury trial defending an international bank against fraud and unjust enrichment claims in a commercial construction project. Client received a complete defense verdict.
- Represented a real estate investment trust and national bank in commercial real estate litigation, including claims related to mechanics liens, stop notices, bonds and construction defects.
Sports and entrepreneurial ventures
- Represent Paralympic Athlete prosecuting claims related to Americans with Disabilities Act, Rehabilitation Act, Unruh Civil Rights Act and Disabled Persons Act.
- Defend a Major League Baseball team against claims related to land use, real estate and public disclosure laws under the Brown Act.
- Represented a Major League Baseball team in litigation over tenant improvement and mechanics lien laws.
- Represent nutrition and health food companies, including start-ups and established brands, with business formation, and intellectual property protection, enforcement and management. Handle various employment matters.
- Represent a production company and director in matters related to sports and airline commercials.
July 9, 2018
July 27, 2017
June 5, 2017
December 23, 2016
June 6, 2016
June 8, 2015
August 5, 2014
June 6, 2014
Katten Announces Recipients of 12th Annual Pro Bono Service Awards and Special Pro Bono Leadership AwardJuly 6, 2011