About Peter Sugden
Peter Sugden focuses his practice on real estate investment, finance and development, hospitality and leisure, real estate joint ventures and other corporate real estate transactions in the UK and across Europe.
Longtime real estate transactional experience
Peter represents private equity funds, institutional investors, property companies, overseas investors, pension funds and hotel owners and operators. His transactional experience extends over more than 30 years and spans all asset classes and transactions, including asset and corporate sales and purchases, fundings and financings, joint ventures, debt purchase, portfolio transactions and complex development. Peter has very significant experience in relation to the hospitality and leisure sector.
Clients appreciate the personal touch that Peter brings to his work. He is known for the pragmatic application of his deep experience in transactional work and ability to focus on key issues, and for personally handling many of the matters that cross his desk.
"Peter Sugden is a 'very capable lawyer' who is 'well known in the real estate, finance and hotel space,' say sources. Clients describe him as 'an outstanding lawyer,' adding: 'He is very good technically, and very approachable and commercial.'"
Chambers UK 2019
(UK-wide, Hotels & Leisure) survey response
- Real estate investment and finance
- Hospitality and leisure
- Real estate development
- Private equity real estate
- Corporate real estate
- Counsel to real estate investor in connection with various Central London office acquisitions, redevelopments, refurbishments, lettings and sales.
- Acting for energy drink company on relocation of its UK headquarters to Tooley Street in London.
- Counsel to global business and technology consultancy in its purchase of estate from Scottish Widows.
- Counsel real estate developer and operator in connection with purchase of office building in Westminster, London.
- Counsel to property group in connection with sale of its UK portfolio.
- Counsel in connection with numerous forward and investment purchases and full fundings for occupational pension schemes.
- Counsel in connection with numerous acquisitions and sales of investment assets for property companies
- Counsel in connection with debt sale of Gannon Properties UK portfolio to Development Securities PLC and The William Pears Group and subsequently acting on liquidation of the portfolio.
- Counsel to investor clients of Aprirose Real Estate Investment in connection with acquisitions and sales of various assets.
- Counsel to fully integrated global real estate investment management company in connection with real estate joint ventures in Turkey, Serbia and Croatia.
- Counsel real estate developer concerning large-scale town centre and urban regeneration schemes in Cardiff, Southampton and Chatham.
- Acting for Aprirose on the forward purchases and financing of a Travelodge Hotel in the Minories, London and a Premier Inn Hotel, Southwark, London and the forward purchase, leaseback and financing of the LEGOLAND Windsor Hotel, at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort theme park, Windsor.
- Acting for Associated British Foods Pension Scheme on the forward funding of the development of a Travelodge at London Docklands.
- Represent private equity firm on purchase from administrators of Novotel Edinburgh Park hotel, in joint venture with Algonquin, including renegotiation of Accor management agreement.
- Act for real estate investor on purchase and subsequent sale of an arena.
- Acting for Irish sponsor on purchase and financing of three Central London boutique hotels and their subsequent sales.
- Acting for fully integrated global real estate investment management company on purchase and financing of portfolio of 11 UK regional hotels, including hotel operating platform.
- Acting for Singapore integrated real estate developer on purchase of iconic landmark building in city of London for conversion to luxury hotel with members club.
- Acting for hotel operator on numerous purchases, financings and developments of UK hotels and on various associated franchise, hotel management, celebrity chef and hotel marketing agreements for new and existing hotels.
- Acting for hospitality group on purchase of branded hotel in Prague, including assumption of existing debt.
April 16, 2021
January 28, 2021
January 26, 2021
October 22, 2020
Katten UK Named a Leading Firm in Financial Services and Real Estate by The Legal 500 United Kingdom GuideOctober 1, 2020
August 3, 2020
May 21, 2020
Chambers UK 2020 Recognizes Katten UK in Real Estate, Hotels & Leisure, Finance, Tax and White CollarNovember 11, 2019
Katten UK Named a Leading Firm in Finance, Real Estate, and Corporate and Commercial by The Legal 500 United KingdomNovember 27, 2018
- View All News
August 9, 2018
July 18, 2018
May 14, 2018
February 28, 2017
June 24, 2016
August 14, 2013
April 17, 2012