About Aaron P. Pinegar
Aaron Pinegar helps clients close the right deal, at the right time, and in the right way for their business and their bottom line. He does this by helping them understand the tax implications of their transactions so they can structure the deal in the most beneficial way possible. His insight on the risks and inefficiencies in the federal tax system allows his clients to meet their business goals and keep transaction costs down.
The right deal, the right way
Aaron's clients rely on him to understand the tax consequences, benefits and risks associated with their broader business objectives. He then helps them pursue deals and corporate structures that allow them to meet those goals and reduce their tax burden. When advising clients, Aaron's knowledge of their business and their broader goals allows him to offer practical advice to ensure that their transactions — and the tax implications of those transactions — support those goals.
In addition to his federal income tax work, Aaron also advises clients on state and local tax issues, including corporate and personal income tax, franchise tax, sales and use tax, and property tax.
Aaron's clients span the investment, health care, real estate, retail, energy, hospitality and technology industries and include private equity funds, investment firms, privately held businesses, medical practices and real estate investment companies.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity transactions
- Joint ventures
- IRS controversy matters
- Qualified opportunity zone tax incentives
- Represented private investment firm in $75 million acquisition of a luxury linens business.
- Represented private investment firm in $270 million disposition of 100% of the equity interests of its portfolio company with a tax-free rollover for management.
- Represent private equity firm in $40 million disposition of 100% of the equity interests of its portfolio company in the automotive industry with a tax-free rollover for management.
- Represented private investment firm in $20 million acquisition of an equity stake in a packaging, manufacturing and distribution business in the food industry.
- Represented publicly traded owner/operator of digital commerce businesses in spin-off of a distributed commerce network. *
- Represented publicly traded multinational personal care corporation in spin-off of a multibillion-dollar medical technology company. *
- Represented publicly traded petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company in spin-off of an oilfield services provider. *
- Represented publicly traded student loan corporation in spin-off of a multibillion-dollar leading provider of asset management and business processing solutions for education, health care and government clients. *
- Represented publicly traded midstream natural gas services company in $11 billion merger with a major natural gas and propane company. *
- Represented midstream natural gas services company in $5.6 billion acquisition of an owner/manager of coal and natural resource properties and related assets, and midstream natural gas gathering and processing businesses. *
- Represented provider of property management software and rental housing management solutions in $300 million acquisition of a revenue management solution that empowers optimized pricing for more than 1.5 million apartments. *
- Represented independent energy company in tax-free merger with a crude petroleum and natural gas company. *
- Represented operator of gas stations and convenience stores in disposition of a portfolio of 251 properties as part of a 1031 exchange. *
- Represented energy company in its IPO with an "up-C" structure. *
- Represented underwriters in IPO of a leading manufacturer of pipe and precast products. *
- Debtors' counsel in pre-negotiated chapter 11 bankruptcy of a private upstream energy company. *
- Debtors' counsel in chapter 11 bankruptcy of seismic-services companies in the oil and gas industry. *
- Represented major oil and gas companies and real estate investment companies preparing partnership agreements and limited liability company agreements for numerous joint ventures. *
- Represented high-net-worth individual before IRS Exam and Appeals. *
- Represented numerous individuals in TEFRA proceedings before the US Tax Court. *
August 8, 2019
October 12, 2018
May 9, 2018
May 9, 2018
April 23, 2019
October 22, 2018
July 12, 2018
The IRS Brings Partial Clarity to North-South ScenariosMay 25, 2017
Presentations and Events
June 4, 2019
December 6, 2018
October 9, 2018
Dallas Bar Association, M&A SectionDecember 2017
Tax Executives Institute, Houston ChapterMay 2017