In today’s aviation marketplace, you need a team of legal specialists with vast industry experience and knowledge of how things get done. That’s why leading commercial aviation businesses worldwide turn to Katten. We know the industry and have a driving ambition to assist you across every aspect of your company’s business.
Deep sector knowledge that helps fuel your business
The aviation industry deals with complex issues and high-value equipment that are vital to the movement of people and goods around the world. It demands attorneys who understand the nuances of the business and provide fully integrated representation of all types of aviation transactions, administrative and regulatory matters, and commercial and bankruptcy litigation.
Whether you're a lessor, manufacturer, financial institution, equity investor, repair facility, parts distributor or insurer, we offer an interdisciplinary approach to meeting your business's unique needs. Partnering with you, we address issues regarding:
- Buying, selling, leasing and financing new and used aircraft, engines and related equipment around the world
- Structuring investments in commercial aircraft business
- Insuring of aviation assets and bankruptcy, insolvency and workout matters
- Assisting with commercial, legal and tax issues
- Developing innovative structures involving true leases, securitization, enhanced equipment trust certificates, pooled aircraft securitizations, asset preservation, credit enhancement and residual value support
- Advising on Federal Aviation Administration and Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance issues, including foreign air carrier permits under Part 211, Part 135 operations and Part 91 flights
- Advising on US citizenship issues before the DOT
- Representing clients in commercial litigation involving maintenance, return conditions, repossession, indemnities, insurance and other related business issues
- Resolving international disputes
- Addressing climate legislation related to greenhouse gas emissions from aircraft engines and manufacturing facilities
"Skilled in emerging market transactions, aircraft acquisitions and leasing structures. Additional expertise in commercial fleet sales and financing. Particularly active in . . . aircraft portfolio transactions."
Chambers USA 2019
(Nationwide, Transportation: Aviation: Finance) survey response
News | August 7, 2023
News | July 20, 2023
News | June 1, 2023
Court Finds That Payment on Aircraft Lease Security Deposit Letters of Credit Would Not Have Violated the United Kingdom's Sanctions Against RussiaPublication | March 30, 2023
News | March 16, 2023