About Mary C. Fleming
Mary concentrates on appellate litigation, dispositive motions, and health care investigations and related litigation. She is experienced in both civil and criminal litigation, from pre-suit or pre-indictment investigations and strategy to providing support at trial. Mary approaches each client relationship with care and a commitment to client service, ensuring the highest level of practice standards in servicing clients.
The finest advocacy before appellate and trial courts
A former federal appellate clerk, Mary Fleming has written briefs and critical motions in both federal and state courts, representing individual and corporate clients in complex civil and criminal litigation. She has assisted financial services clients with high-stakes appeals, drafted critical motions on behalf of executives in federal criminal proceedings, and defended financial institutions against class-action litigation and consumer disputes. Mary also has embedded with trial teams to provide support by crafting legal arguments, drafting jury instructions and motions, and ensuring the record is preserved for appeal. Mary devotes a substantial portion of her practice to internal and government investigations and related cases arising from allegations of Medicare fraud and abuse under the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act. Additionally, she has experience in insolvency-related litigation and investigations.
Prior to joining Katten, Mary served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Bacharach of the US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. During law school, she was an articles editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review, and received the Best Appellate Brief Award.
- Appellate and Supreme Court litigation
- Financial services litigation
- Insurance and health care fraud litigation
- White-collar defense and investigations
- Consumer finance litigation
- Co-authored opposition brief in the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit defending a leading provider of hospital-based outsourcing against claims of fraud under the False Claims Act.
- Represented client on charges of public corruption, including drafting dispositive briefing and providing support through trial.
- Successfully represented client during two-week jury trial on charges related to health care fraud.
- Defended in the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit injunction awarded to large insurance company in RICO case involving widespread insurance fraud.
- Represented health care providers in complex commercial litigation.
- Represented health care provider in investigation under the False Claims Act involving allegations of fraudulent billing and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Drafted briefs in the California Courts of Appeal, and in state and federal trial courts, on behalf of insurer prosecuting widespread insurance fraud and RICO violations.
April 28, 2022
May 5, 2021
December 1, 2020
April 16, 2020