About Matthew R. Baker
Clients turn to Matthew Baker when they need advice on responding to government investigations and defending themselves in court. With a breadth of experience in complex eDiscovery and information governance, and a deep understanding of international data privacy and information security practices, Matthew helps clients facing crises and issues at the intersection of litigation, technology and data management.
Crisis control at the intersection of litigation, technology and data management
Matthew draws on years of litigation experience to help clients establish the best approach in the midst of a crisis. He understands the challenges clients face in a disaster, an investigation, or a data breach, and he works with clients to customize strategies for mitigation and tactics for response. Matthew helps clients across many industries, with a focus on highly regulated industries, such as energy and chemical manufacturing.
With an eye to proactive crisis avoidance, Matthew advises clients with security and crisis preparedness, identifying, evaluating and managing risks associated with data collection, protection and use. He works hand-in-hand with business management to develop simulations and drills to identify and address gaps in procedures and protocols for emergent situations. He also helps clients with litigation preparedness and information governance best practices, especially for those clients in highly regulated industries. His understanding of knowledge management allows him to develop processes for efficiently streamlining and organizing data.
Matthew frequently speaks and authors articles on eDiscovery, information governance, privacy and information security practices. His pro bono work includes assisting nonprofit organizations with data privacy and information governance issues. He also represents refugees seeking political asylum in the United States and clients with other immigration-related matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Matthew represented clients in complex criminal and commercial litigation matters throughout all phases of investigations, trial and appellate proceedings, with a focus on environmental and energy-related litigation. During law school, Matthew served as a law clerk for the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Southern District of California.
- White collar defense and investigations
- Internal investigations
- Data privacy and information security
- Crisis management and preparedness, especially related to data breaches
- eDiscovery and information governance
- Represented a global provider of labor and production services criminally charged in a multi-fatality incident on an oil and gas production platform.
- Represent a global energy services company under criminal investigation for fraud related to inspection services provided to oil and gas production platforms.
- Represent a Fortune 100 company in federal and state investigations of a multi-fatality incident at a chemical manufacturing plant.
- Advised a leading health care provider on data privacy compliance and information governance practices.
- Advised a Fortune 100 financial institution on information governance practices.
- Represented an international oil and gas services company in Suspension & Debarment proceedings before federal agencies relating to potential disqualification from participation in federal contracts and related subcontracts.
- Represented a major oil field services provider in the criminal investigation of the April 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. *
- Represented an international oil services company in a multibillion-dollar MDL proceeding.
- Represented the chief financial officer of a public company under investigation for accounting fraud and manipulation of financial statements and SEC filings.
- Represented high-profile, public clients in a DOJ investigation into the September 2013 lane closures on the George Washington Bridge involving New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's administration.
- Represented a major energy company in an SEC investigation of alleged fraudulent accounting and reporting practices.
- Internal investigation for a multi-national aerospace company regarding suspected violations of the FCPA.
- Advised a major European energy company on domestic and international data privacy compliance issues for purposes of establishing a new domestic presence.
- Advised an international client on domestic and international data privacy compliance issues regarding expansion into Europe.
- Assisted a major international oil field services provider in revising and updating its corporate governance and compliance policies and procedures.
- Assisted a multinational bank in revising and updating its information governance compliance policies and procedures.
- Represented a major international oil services company in a multimillion-dollar environmental cleanup proceeding arising under CERCLA and RCRA.
June 26, 2019
June 11, 2019
July 11, 2018
June 14, 2018
August 1, 2017
July 18, 2017
New York Shields Consumer Data With Broader Breach Notification, Security, and Identity Theft Protection LawsAugust 1, 2019
July 15, 2019
June 11, 2019
May 7, 2019
April 17, 2019
December 20, 2018
April 25, 2018
February 13, 2018
December 19, 2017
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
Privacy and the Cyberthreat Landscape: Current Issues in Handling Data and Data Breaches in the Hospitality IndustrySeptember 28, 2017
April 10–11, 2017
Turning Legalese Into Tech Speak: Legal Holds in 2015December 8, 2015
Huron Legal InstituteMay 2013
Dallas Bar AssociationMarch 2013
New York 2013 LegalTechJanuary 2013