About Natalia T. Sorgente
Drawing on her background as a senior US Department of Justice (DOJ) official, Natalia Sorgente represents clients in civil and criminal litigation, internal investigations and corporate compliance matters. With deep relationships across the DOJ and given her broad interagency experience, Natalia has keen insights into her clients' needs as well as a deep understanding of government practices and policy.
Former high-level DOJ official, litigation and environmental counsel
Before joining Katten, Natalia served as an associate deputy attorney general to Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates. She has extensive experience working on high-stakes and high-profile trials, appeals, class actions and negotiations, as well as Congressional and Office of Inspector General investigations.
Natalia also served as the chief of staff and counsel to the assistant attorney general of the DOJ's Environment & Natural Resources Division, which litigates civil and criminal environmental and natural resource matters on behalf of the United States. She played a role in many of the Division's most important matters, including the initial response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, and managed the Division's international program.
A skilled advocate, Natalia also served as the senior counsel to the assistant attorney general of the DOJ's Civil Division. In that role, she was instrumental in negotiating a class action settlement involving the use of a $380 million cy pres fund, and then in defending that settlement in district court and on appeal. Natalia also contributed to the government's successful defense at trial and on appeal in one of the most consequential cases arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
Natalia began her career as a law clerk to the Honorable Norma L. Shapiro of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. She also served in senior campaign roles during the 2008 presidential election.
- White-collar litigation, investigations and compliance
- Representing companies and individuals facing government investigations and action
- Negotiating favorable settlements for clients
- Crisis management and counseling
- Environmental and workplace safety counseling and litigation
- Financial services litigation
- With court-appointed monitor, oversee team of lawyers and experts tasked with monitoring a highly recognized, global cruise line subject to a negotiated plea agreement and criminal judgment in a case of arising out of international vessel pollution.
- On behalf of the United States, served key role in the DOJ Civil Division’s litigation and appeal of a class action arising out of the government’s response to the 2008 financial crisis.
- Represented Department of Agriculture in settlement, and subsequent litigation and appeals, of a Native American farmer and rancher discrimination class action dispute regarding a $380 million cy pres fund.
- Managed Civil Division’s policy efforts, including representing Division on working group; Congressional oversight; Office of Inspector General Investigations; and advancing Department and Division views on proposed legislation to amend FIRREA, ECPA and Federal Arbitration Act.
- Worked with leaders in the DOJ Civil Division on health care fraud, consumer protection prosecutions and enforcement actions, and government contractor tort claims.
- Served as Chief of Staff & Counsel for the DOJ Environment & Natural Resources Division—a litigating division with nearly 700 employees handling criminal, enforcement and defensive matters in the areas of environmental and natural resource law, eminent domain, and Indian law.
- Represented the EPA in US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit against two petitions for review challenging its decision to list an industrial site on the Superfund National Priorities List under CERCLA.
- Represented the EPA in US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit against petitions for review challenging its eight-hour NAAQS promulgated pursuant to the Clean Air Act.
- Represented the EPA in US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit against a petition for review challenging three sets of transportation conformity regulations promulgated pursuant to the Clean Air Act.
- Lead counsel for the United States in a major CERCLA litigation involving contamination at a former US Army Airfield.
- Represented the United States in a significant CERCLA litigation involving contamination at a former industrial site used to make ammonium perchlorate for the government during World War II.
- Represent major broker-dealer in the first “marking the open” market manipulation case.
- Defend issuer of variable annuities against alleged violations of the Investment Company Act.
- Represent auto manufacturer in multiple litigations across the country concerning franchises and public-company ownership of dealerships.
- Represent food brand in litigation of issues related to alleged deceptive trade practices and improper labeling in the olive oil industry.
- Represent major consumer product manufacturer in breach of contract litigation.
- Represented the United States in RCRA and NEPA challenge to Army Corps of Engineers lock replacement project.
- Represented the EPA in challenge by group of municipalities of the EPA regions’ prohibition on blending by POTWs.
- Represented the United States against suit alleging violations of CERCLA, OPA, CWA, FTCA and Indian Trust Doctrine.
- Represent global integrated business enterprise in criminal antitrust prosecution and related civil litigations.