In today's real estate markets, the ability to minimize cost while maximizing investment potential is a true differentiator. Katten's UK Real Estate group provides sophisticated investors with strategic and tactical advice across a broad array of asset and corporate real estate transactions. Whether it involves major development projects, buying and selling assets, channeling capital into London from around the globe, managing complex occupier arrangements, or putting together intricate finance packages, we support clients across the entire real estate asset class and life cycle.
We are especially adept at deals that are complex, that require speedy execution and closing, or that require coordinating multiple stakeholders with competing interests. With an eye always on the exit strategy, our team is known for its ability to coordinate multidisciplinary teams to help clients get their deals over the line on time and on budget.
Our broad knowledge of modern transactions, acquired through long-term client relationships, gives us a 360-degree view of the market, advising and coordinating all the key players — from private equity sponsors and funds, institutional investors, property companies, and hotel owners and operators to pension funds, occupiers and developers — on all the key issues.
We provide legal advice across the entire spectrum of real estate and hospitality activities, including:
- Investment — acquisitions and disposals of single assets and portfolios across all asset classes
- Corporate real estate – purchases and sales of single-purpose vehicles and other corporate holding structures, both onshore and offshore
- Development — site acquisition, local authority, statutory and other third-party agreements, pre-lets, forward sale and forward funding, and construction procurement documents
- Real estate finance — both lender- and borrower-side representation in bilateral and syndicated loans for real estate assets (both senior and mezzanine), development financing, and other secured lending
- Hospitality — hotel purchases, sales, financing and development, hotel management, franchise and other operational agreements, branded residences, restaurant franchise and management agreements, and restaurant acquisitions
- Joint ventures — shareholder, partnership and member agreements; development and asset management agreements; and co-investment, profit share and syndication structures
- Real estate debt purchase and sale — loan acquisitions and disposals
"The team is experienced in all types of real estate transactions including finance, investment, development and joint venture matters."
Chambers UK 2018
(London Real Estate) survey response
- Advise offshore investors in acquiring the Welbeck Street car park in London’s West End for a contemplated hotel development.
- Advise pension fund in forward funding of the development of a retail center in York.
- Represent commercial real estate broker, as receiver, in the £275 million sale of a portfolio of five industrial estates.
- Advise REIT in acquiring a Guernsey Property Unit Trust in the company that owned the long-term leasehold investment of an American conglomerate’s UK headquarters. Also advise in the senior and mezzanine debt financing of the purchase.
- Advise offshore investors in the purchase of multi-let office premises at Millennium Bridge House in central London.
- Advise overseas family office regarding debt financing and joint venture arrangements for the acquisition of multi-let offices in Manchester.
- Advise to several London-based cultural and educational institutions in real estate development, corporate governance and commercial issues, and litigation.
- Advise global 5-star hotel operator in its successful tender to secure management agreement for new ultra-luxury hotel that will be located in Old War Office, a London landmark that served as Winston Churchill's headquarters during the Second World War.
- Advisor to global hotel brands and areas, including M&A transactions worldwide.
News | July 2, 2020
Publication | June 8, 2020
Publication | June 2, 2020
Publication | June 1, 2020
Publication | May 22, 2020