About Joe Payne
Joe Payne is a commercial litigator and advisor, who industry publications describe as "an excellent lawyer who fights his cause well." Joe focuses on the business priority behind every legal issue. He helps clients in protecting the value of their investments and assets and in identifying and mitigating their commercial and regulatory risks. He regularly advises and represents clients in cross-jurisdictional transactions and disputes.
Focused advice and strong commercial understanding
Recognized as a leading litigator in industry publications like Chambers UK and Legal 500, Joe Payne was described by clients as "impressively commercial," for "command[ing] respect across the market" and for his "focused advice and strong commercial understanding." Joe has also been described as being "a lawyer who never gives in, he is tenacious and impossible to ignore."
Joe represents corporate clients across a range of sectors, including aviation, real estate and financial services. Joe is a solicitor advocate, often appearing in the High Court. He represents clients in all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation and expert determination.
- Business disputes and commercial litigation (including insolvency issues and cross‑jurisdictional disputes)
- Arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution
- Compliance and risk-avoidance issues
- Advise aircraft leasing company on English security, enforcement and insolvency issues.
- Advise aircraft manufacturer on English insolvency and enforcement issues arising from sales agreement with airline.
- Represent client in enforcement of covenants relating to valuable parking rights benefitting substantial West End property.
- Represent client in arbitrations concerning rent review provisions in leases.
- Represent client in obtaining in England a judgment against BVI airline company and enforcing that judgement overseas.
- Represent financial services business in securing in Privy Council the dismissal of proceedings commenced in Gibraltar by US trustee in bankruptcy.
- Represent hospitality business in obtaining worldwide freezing injunction relating to assets owned by an employee who engaged in theft.
- Represent individual in securing discharge of worldwide freezing injunction obtained in relation to overseas property transaction.
- Represent individual in obtaining injunction preventing development that would breach right of light.
- Advise aircraft leasing company on insurance claim arising from fatal air accident.
- Represent ICC arbitration relating to African mine.
June 8, 2023
June 9, 2022
November 8, 2016
November 4, 2015
October 3, 2014
November 7, 2012
January 3, 2023
June 2, 2020
April 23, 2019
February 25, 2019
June 18, 2018
Presentations and Events
July 11, 2018Participant | The Prosecco Roundtable Discussions