About John W. Reale
With deep experience in matters involving insurance and health care litigation, John Reale helps his clients combat fraudulent and abusive claims practices. From identifying and evaluating suspected fraud to developing and implementing effective litigation and deterrent strategies, insurers turn to John to help them reduce exposure and recover payments obtained by fraud.
Confronting health insurance fraud, waste and abuse
John represents large health and property and casualty insurers across the country, as well as others impacted by fraud, helping them confront the business and litigation challenges associated with suspected claims fraud. Through early stage collaboration and leveraging available technology, John helps his clients develop and implement litigation, claims handling and fraud deterrent strategies.
John has a wide range of industry experience, and he handles complex litigation and consulting involving systemic fraud. He has extensive experience pursuing fraud recoveries in federal and state courts in civil RICO and qui tam suits involving a wide range of issues, including medical necessity, corporate practice of medicine, licensing, kickbacks, self-referrals and manipulation of billing codes.
John has also helped clients in federal and state litigation involving alleged federal and state False Claims Act violations, disputes under ERISA and the federal securities laws, commercial class actions and toxic torts.
- Health care and insurance fraud
- Litigation, including federal and state RICO and federal and state False Claims Act litigation
- Investigating and evaluating suspected claims fraud activity
- Developing and implementing fraud deterrent and claims handling strategies
- Represented automobile manufacturer and its senior executives in several putative nationwide class actions that alleged breaches of fiduciary duty under ERISA. Secured dismissal of consolidated class action cases in favor of automobile manufacturer's investment adviser, which the Second Circuit affirmed on appeal.
- Counsel for large chemical company in case brought by more than 200 plaintiffs alleging various personal injuries arising out of client’s operation of uranium mining and milling operations. Drafted successful motions for summary judgment and oversaw various aspects of expert and plaintiff discovery. Case was dismissed at trial level on summary judgment, as profiled in The American Lawyer, and subsequently affirmed by US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- National defense counsel for pharmaceutical manufacturers in various federal and state lawsuits alleging Medicaid and Medicare fraud. Managed day-to-day aspects of cases, including drafting dispositive and discovery motions on behalf of client and joint defense, developing nationwide discovery strategy, leading expert discovery and presenting successful oral arguments in federal and state courts on dispositive and discovery motions.
- Represent former senior executives of financial services company in class action brought under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
August 18, 2010