(CHICAGO) Katten announced today that the firm and five of its Intellectual Property attorneys were recognized in the 2020 edition of World Trademark Review 1000 – The World's Leading Trademark Professionals (WTR 1000), a research directory focused exclusively on trademark practices and practitioners.
WTR 1000 identified leading law firms and individual attorneys deemed outstanding in the trademark field in more than 80 key jurisdictions globally.
Katten was featured on the national level, and regionally in Illinois and New York. Firm Chairman Roger P. Furey, national co-chairs of Katten's Intellectual Property practice Karen Artz Ash and Floyd A. Mandell, and partners Kristin J. Achterhof and Jan Tamulewicz received individual accolades in the areas of prosecution and strategy, and enforcement and litigation.
Mandell received the highest national distinction for his work in enforcement and litigation. The guide highlighted his leadership not only at the firm, but across the whole market. "He is an exceptional and incredibly engaging litigator who is making law all the time. He works exceptionally hard — crazy hours — but keeps ratcheting it up, unlike many of his contemporaries at other places. An excellent mentor who creates opportunities for others, he has built a great team around him," said one commentator.
Katten partners received glowing compliments from peers and clients, spotlighting the quality of their services, the depth of their experience and the prominence of their market presence. According to WTR 1000:
- "That Roger Furey has a trademark and IP background and serves as firm chair shows how critical the brands practice is to Katten."
- "When it comes to IP protection, Katten is a destination firm for leading lights of the fashion world. Nobody knows the industry as well as award-winning Karen Artz Ash, a brand strategist and protector at the very top of her game. Her strong background in economics and finance has informed her career-long focus on delivering business advantages to clients – whether through targeted prosecution or deal negotiation."
- Quoting feedback provided to a researcher, "When you're with Floyd, it is an honour to be around such greatness. He is so passionate about trademarks and is dedicated and tireless for his clients."
- Of Achterhof, one source commented, "I adore her — she is just a fantastic litigator with a great presence. She is a tough adversary for sure, but she isn't trying to steamroll everyone; she has a grace about her that makes her very effective in front of judge and jury."
- "Jan Tamulewicz is also knowledgeable in the fashion and luxury sector, as well as many others, including finance, retail and consumer electronics. Moreover, he is warmly endorsed by foreign associates for his international brand protection expertise."
Katten's Intellectual Property attorneys evaluate thousands of trademark searches every year and police clients' marks against threats worldwide. They provide counsel on evolving trademark registration and pre-litigation issues. From protection of product launches to defense against infringement claims, Katten's team resolves trademark disputes and lawsuits related to deceptive trade practices, fair use or infringement, First Amendment rights, Lanham Act, service marks, and unfair competition among other issues.