In today’s aviation marketplace, you need a team of legal specialists with vast industry experience and knowledge of how things get done. That’s why leading commercial aviation businesses worldwide turn to Katten. We know the industry and have a driving ambition to assist you across every aspect of your company’s business.
Deep sector knowledge that helps fuel your business
The aviation industry deals with complex issues and high-value equipment that are vital to the movement of people and goods around the world. It demands attorneys who understand the nuances of the business and provide fully integrated representation of all types of aviation transactions, administrative and regulatory matters, and commercial and bankruptcy litigation.
Whether you're a lessor, manufacturer, financial institution, equity investor, repair facility, parts distributor or insurer, we offer an interdisciplinary approach to meeting your business's unique needs. Partnering with you, we address issues regarding:
- Buying, selling, leasing and financing new and used aircraft, engines and related equipment around the world
- Structuring investments in commercial aircraft business
- Insuring of aviation assets and bankruptcy, insolvency and workout matters
- Assisting with commercial, legal and tax issues
- Developing innovative structures involving true leases, securitization, enhanced equipment trust certificates, pooled aircraft securitizations, asset preservation, credit enhancement and residual value support
- Advising on Federal Aviation Administration and Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance issues, including foreign air carrier permits under Part 211, Part 135 operations and Part 91 flights
- Advising on US citizenship issues before the DOT
- Representing clients in commercial litigation involving maintenance, return conditions, repossession, indemnities, insurance and other related business issues
- Resolving international disputes
- Addressing climate legislation related to greenhouse gas emissions from aircraft engines and manufacturing facilities
"Skilled in emerging market transactions, aircraft acquisitions and leasing structures. Additional expertise in commercial fleet sales and financing. Particularly active in . . . aircraft portfolio transactions."
Chambers USA 2019
(Nationwide, Transportation: Aviation: Finance) survey response
- Represent aerospace conglomerate as senior lienholder in debt financing of three aircraft on behalf of the National Air Services Company (NAS) as buyer with Natixis as senior lender and junior lienholder.
- Counsel lessors, lessees, lenders, arrangers, airlines and manufacturers in all matters relating to sale, purchase, lease, financing and insuring of commercial aircraft and related equipment worldwide.
- Analyze of progress payment facilities and structures.
- Represent purchaser and lessor in purchase and sale of one Airbus A320-200 aircraft.
- Represent German chartered airline in sublease of three Boeing model 737-800 aircraft.
- Represent financial institution as purchaser and lessor in the purchase of Q Aviation Ventures IV Limited for its ownership of two Boeing B737-700 Aircraft by Citicorp and SASOF Luxembourg S.A.R.L., with China Southern Airlines Company Limited as lessee.
- Advise on structure of operations of commercial and private corporate aircraft.
- Represent finance arm of aerospace conglomerate as original lender on behalf of Azul Airlines in debt financing of two aircraft
- Advise lessors, lenders, repair facilities, distributors, manufacturers and airlines in bankruptcy and insolvency matters.
- Represent aerospace conglomerate's participation in restructure of 60 aircraft with Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. as lessee, and lenders and lessors, including Brazilian Export Credit Agency (BNDES) and Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
- Represent purchaser and borrower in debt financing of one Pratt & Whitney PW2040 engine. United Technologies Corporation, through its Pratt & Whitney Division, as seller, and UT Finance Corporation as lender.
- Represent aerospace conglomerate as seller in pre-delivery payment (PDP) financing of eight aircraft.
- Advise aircraft operators on Federal Aviation Authority (FAA)/Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance issues.
- Represent aerospace conglomerate’s participation in the restructuring of Brazilian Export Credit Agency (BNDES) debt for 216 aircraft as part of American Airlines bankruptcy.
- Represent purchaser and lessor in purchase and lease of one Airbus A320-200 aircraft with Erica Navigation S.A. as seller. Metro Aviation Ireland Limited as purchaser and lessor, A320 Aircraft Leasing VII Corp. as head lessee and China Eastern Airlines Corporation Limited as sublessee.
- Represent parties in administrative and regulatory matters before Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Represent bond rating agency in connection with rating of Jetscape's Eagle I Limited ABS Securitization.
- Represent financial institution in $175 million facility for Hawaiian Airlines secured by Section 1110 assets, non-Section 1110 aircraft, cash and accounts receivable.
- Represent aerospace conglomerate in acting as back-up servicer for Aldus Aviation's ATLAS securitization.
- Represent global aircraft leasing, management and finance company in purchase and lease of two A320-232 aircraft operated by Scandinavian Airlines System.
News | June 11, 2019
News | April 25, 2019
Event | April 11, 2019
Event | March 6–8, 2019
Publication | January 28, 2019