About Bonnie Lynn Chmil
Representing private clients in litigation requires an appreciation for the dynamics of these often-sensitive disputes. Whether Bonnie is advising high-net-worth individuals, families or fiduciary trust companies, she balances her extensive experience in commercial litigation with a sensitivity to the needs and expectations of private clients and fiduciaries.
Finding efficient solutions for sensitive litigation
Bonnie knows that most parties want a quick and practical resolution to private client disputes. She therefore focuses on her clients' desired endgame from day one, looking for the most efficient way of getting there. It's a no-nonsense approach that often results in favorable resolutions. For Bonnie and her clients, those can come either through negotiated settlements or effective litigation tactics.
Bonnie demonstrated her talent for efficiency when she attended college and law school at night while working in the financial services industry. That experience provided valuable background for her present work, and it has helped her to achieve success for her clients' results. Among other wins, Bonnie has earned the dismissal of a $40 million fraud claim against an insurer, defeated a $100 million claim against an estate and secured a $150 million settlement for a client against the estate of her ex-husband.
On top of her industry experience, Bonnie brings detailed knowledge of commercial litigation to all of her work. She regularly represents clients in disputes involving real estate, commercial contracts and business torts.
"Bonnie is a terrific litigator. She is a very talented lawyer who is a go-to for contentious issues." "She is a formidable litigator who is terrific to work with. She is very polished and straightforward."
Chambers High Net Worth 2022
(New York, Private Wealth Disputes) survey response
- Private client litigation
- Resolution of disputes outside litigation
- Representation of trusts and fiduciaries in estate-related disputes
- Commercial litigation
- Defended a global trade credit insurance company against tort claims in which the plaintiff bank sought in excess of $42 million in damages. Dismissal was affirmed by the Appellate Division, First Department.
- Defend a national banking association in its capacity as corporate trustee against claims brought by beneficiaries pertaining to a property sale. Plaintiffs seek in excess of $100 million in damages.
- Represented executors of a $279 million estate against claims brought by family members seeking in excess of $85 million.
- Represented global financial institution in various litigations arising out of a $400 million Ponzi scheme.
- Represented minority shareholder in breach of fiduciary and related claims against the officers, directors and majority shareholder of a privately held company.
- Represent beneficiaries in multi-generational family trust disputes.
- Represented international trust company in a dispute involving a Manhattan condominium.
- Achieved favorable settlement of a beneficiary’s claims against a multibillion-dollar estate.
- Represented lenders in various commercial project disputes, including a luxury condominium development project in Manhattan; a mixed-used project anchored by a luxury hotel in Paradise Valley, Arizona; and various commercial properties in New York, New Jersey and Texas.
- Represent lenders in foreclosures on commercial mortgages in New York.
- Obtained a $31 million judgment against a guarantor of a commercial mortgage.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a private school seeking in excess of $2 million in damages, which dismissal was affirmed by the Appellate Division, which also denied the plaintiff’s motion to reargue and for leave to appeal to the Court of Appeals.
- Obtained dismissal of fraudulent inducement and promissory estoppel claims against a private school brought by parents of several former students concerning changes to staff and curriculum during the COVID-19 pandemic.
May 22, 2023
April 3, 2023
December 28, 2022
July 14, 2022
May 19, 2022
April 29, 2022
July 22, 2021
February 2, 2021
July 9, 2020
- View All News
November 17, 2022
September 11, 2020
March 23, 2020
November 25, 2019
December 4–7, 2018
November 19, 2018
December 18, 2017
July 13, 2016
Presentations and Events
July 2018Mitigating Fiduciary RiskSpeaker
June 2017Mitigating Fiduciary RiskPresenter
September 29, 2016Presenter