About Bonnie Lynn Chmil
Representing private clients in litigation requires an appreciation for the dynamics of these often-sensitive disputes. Whether Bonnie Chmil is advising high-net-worth individuals, families or fiduciary trust companies, she balances her extensive experience in commercial litigation with a sensitivity to the needs and expectations of private clients and fiduciaries.
Finding efficient solutions for sensitive litigation
Bonnie knows that most parties want a quick and practical resolution to private client disputes. She therefore focuses on her clients' desired endgame from day one, looking for the most efficient way of getting there. It's a no-nonsense approach that often results in favorable resolutions. For Bonnie and her clients, those can come either through negotiated settlements or effective litigation tactics.
Bonnie demonstrated her talent for efficiency when she attended college and law school at night while working in the financial services industry. That experience provided valuable background for her present work, and it has helped her to achieve success for her clients' results. Among other wins, Bonnie has earned the dismissal of a $40 million fraud claim against an insurer, defeated a $100 million claim against an estate and secured a $150 million settlement for a client against the estate of her ex-husband.
On top of her industry experience, Bonnie brings detailed knowledge of commercial litigation to all of her work. She regularly represents clients in disputes involving real estate, commercial contracts and business torts.
- Private client litigation
- Resolution of disputes outside litigation
- Representation of trusts and fiduciaries in estate-related disputes
- Commercial litigation
- Defended a global trade credit insurance company against tort claims in which the plaintiff bank sought in excess of $42 million in damages. Dismissal was affirmed by the Appellate Division, First Department.
- Defend a national banking association in its capacity as corporate trustee against claims brought by beneficiaries pertaining to a property sale. Plaintiffs seek in excess of $100 million in damages.
- Represent executors of a $279 million estate against claims brought by family members seeking in excess of $85 million.
- Represent global financial institution in various litigations arising out of a $400 million Ponzi scheme.
- Represent minority shareholder in breach of fiduciary and related claims against the officers, directors and majority shareholder of a privately held company.
- Represent beneficiaries in multi-generational family trust disputes.
- Represent international trust company in a dispute involving a Manhattan condominium.
- Achieved favorable settlement of a beneficiary’s claims against a multibillion-dollar estate.
- Represent lenders in various commercial project disputes, including a luxury condominium development project in Manhattan; a mixed-used project anchored by a luxury hotel in Paradise Valley, Arizona; and various commercial properties in New Jersey and Texas.
September 16, 2015
July 1, 2015
September 23, 2014
July 25, 2013
December 4–7, 2018
November 19, 2018
December 18, 2017
July 13, 2016
January 31, 2014
January 18, 2013
January 25, 2008
December 20, 2007
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
Mitigating Fiduciary RiskJuly 2018
Mitigating Fiduciary RiskJune 2017
September 29, 2016