The European Union's revised Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II) and the accompanying Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (MiFIR) take effect on 3 January 2018. The scope of MiFID II and MiFIR is vast and covers nearly all aspects of the European financial markets and European market participants, as well as those who trade in such markets or with European counterparties, including:
- authorisation requirements and applicable exemptions;
- position limits and position reporting for commodity derivatives;
- transaction reporting requirements;
- pre- and post-trade transparency requirements;
- market access issues, including direct electronic access and market making;
- research payments;
- straight-through processing;
- mandatory trade execution for certain standardised OTC derivatives; and
- indirect clearing.
Katten Muchin Rosenman UK LLP has been actively involved in advising its European and non-European clients—including central counterparties, trading venues, clearing members, brokers, managers, commodity firms and proprietary traders—in preparing for the upcoming significant changes. However, it is likely that questions will pop up and unforeseen developments will occur.
Katten UK is establishing a "MiFID II Helpline" to assist clients and other affected market participants. The London-based Financial Services team will be standing ready to provide real-time counsel on all manner of MiFID II-related issues that arise when the new rules take effect.
The MiFID II Helpline will open on 3 January 2018 and will remain active in the days and weeks that follow.
To reach a member of the MiFID II Helpline, please contact the following Katten UK attorneys.
+44 (0) 20 7776 7662