About Emily Kay Watson
When companies need a calm and skilled hand to navigate the complexities of corporate transactions, they turn to Emily Watson, whose extensive experience makes her the right choice in high-pressure, high-stakes matters. Emily's practice covers a wide range of industries and focuses on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity and general corporate matters. She regularly represents private equity sponsors, closely held businesses, entrepreneurs, investors and management teams.
A value for high-quality service drives results
Emily knows the importance of doing jobs well, no matter how large or small. Clients benefit from the personal satisfaction she gets from providing high-quality advocacy and counsel.
In a typical day, Emily advises clients with respect to structuring and executing leveraged buyouts and other acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, control and growth equity financings, non-control and co-investments, and other complex commercial transactions. She has extensive experience representing private equity sponsors (whether traditional committed fund sponsors, alternatively funded or unfunded), family-owned and other closely held businesses, entrepreneurs, investors and management teams.
For private equity clients and their portfolio companies, Emily routinely serves as an outside general counsel, assisting in executing strategic, financial and commercial objectives. Her diverse client base spans a range of industries, including health care, business services, insurance, and manufacturing and distribution.
- Domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity
- Recapitalizations and reorganizations
- Joint ventures
- Management representation
- General corporate matters
- Represented private equity firm its investment in a provider of digital retail media programs; and its divestiture of a leading data analytics provider. *
- Represented a private equity firm in numerous platform and add-on acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings and general counsel matters. *
- Represented a private equity firm, which invests in privately owned distribution, manufacturing and service companies in the lower middle market, in various matters, including the acquisitions of two manufacturers of products used for the building industry. *
- Represented a private equity and venture capital firm in numerous platform and add-on acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings and general portfolio company work, such as the initial platform acquisition, multiple add-on acquisitions and subsequent sale of each, including a manufacturer and distributor of home recreational outdoor products, a manufacturer and direct-to-consumer national provider of nutritional supplements, a national provider of healthcare technology solutions and a provider of design, development, technology and digital marketing services primarily to healthcare clients. *
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition from a provider and innovator of specialty insurance products and services to domestic financial institutions and their customers. *
- Represented a private equity firm, which invests in middle-market industrial companies with numerous acquisitions and divestitures, including the acquisition and divestiture of, a distributor of construction and product assembly tools and supplies; the divestiture of a distributor of cabinetry hardware, laminates and surfacing products; and the divestiture of a North American provider of Class B recreational vehicles. *
- Represented a venture capital firm in the formation of its agribusiness fund. *
- Represented a private equity firm in its platform acquisitions of a packaging services supplier, and a manufacturer of custom precision molded products. *
- Represented numerous other private equity funds in portfolio company matters and leveraged buyout (LBO), merger and acquisition and divestiture transactions. *
- Represented numerous PE-owned portfolio companies and other private and public companies in general corporate governance matters, incentive equity and employment arrangements and merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions. *
- Represented a portfolio company director in an equity co-investment in a fund. *
March 31, 2023
December 12, 2022