Joshua Rubenstein, national head of the firm's Trusts and Estates practice, will present "Pressing the Do Over Button: A Practitioners Perspective on Strategies for Modifying Wills and Trusts After Formation" at 11:00 a.m. (ET) on Saturday, May 5. The session will examine, during these times where everything changes in unanticipated ways, what after-the-fact options there are both to fix mistakes and to change things that weren't mistakes when done but no longer work. These include:
- flexible strategies such as tax and state law elections;
- 9100 relief and private letter rulings;
- construction proceedings;
- qualified and nonqualified disclaimers;
- amendments and decantings; and
- creative exercises of powers of appointment.