Katten Structured Finance and Securitization co-head Howie Schickler and partner Christina Burgess will participate in the U.S. Specialty Lender Finance & Private Credit Forum on Wednesday, November 9. At 1:45 p.m., Howie will speak on the "Considerations for Choosing Your Financing Pathway and Building Your Funding Structure" panel, which will discuss topics including:
- Debt, equity and beyond: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the various funding pathways?
- Alternative funding pathways to consider including decentralized finance, and other non-dilutive, non-debt funding structures
- Beyond legal considerations, what other factors must be incorporated when setting up the funding structure?
- Implementing an SPV structure
- Employing a third-party servicer
- What part of the Series A is retained?
- Other considerations when structuring a deal
At 4:30 p.m., Christina will moderate the "Investing in Specialty Lender Finance vs. Other Alternative Credit Strategies: Investor Roundtable" panel, discussing topics including:
- What new and mispriced lending opportunities exist in this sector?
- Risk and return profiles of the underlying investments vs. other types of private credit, especially direct lending
- Pros and cons of a niche-asset class approach versus a broad, multi-asset class approach
- Advantages vs. Asset-Backed Securities
- Privately originated and negotiated by an investment manager
- Greater diversity, asset security, negotiated terms, and short duration of many of the underlying loans
- Assessing opportunities in the major market sectors: Consumer/Mortgage Finance, Hard Assets, Small-Medium Sized Enterprise and Contractual Cash Flows
- What are LPs expecting from direct lenders in terms of credit management, returns, and strategy?
- Choosing your place in the capital stack: senior/junior debt vs. equity