Gary DeWaal, special counsel in the Financial Services practice, will serve as a panelist in the "Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and Fintech: Innovation and Regulation" session at the Financial Markets Association's 2018 Treasury and Capital Markets Legal and Legislative Issues Conference on Thursday, October 18 at 12:45 p.m. The panelists will:
- identify ways that blockchain and crypto technology is transforming financial institutions and contracting practices;
- discuss derivatives, ETFs and new contracts and markets in crypto currency;
- provide an update on regulation of crypto exchanges and issuers, and whether self-regulation is a viable alternative;
- discuss ICOs in the current regulatory framework and whether the Howey test provides sufficient clarity for market participants; and
- analyze trends in regulation, enforcement and litigation; and consider how regulation is evolving to accommodate fintech innovation.