About Mara A. Glaser McCahan
A seasoned transactional lawyer, Mara Glaser McCahan advises on mergers and acquisitions, financings and a wide range of other deals in both regulated and unregulated industries. Her breadth of practice makes her a creative problem solver and her experience navigating deals across industries gives her valuable insight into how to get transactions closed, while staying attuned to the specific nuances of each industry and deal.
Broad experience in critical transactions
Mara represents private equity funds, insurance companies, banks, developers and enterprises of all sizes, including multibillion-dollar public companies. Her clients touch industries from real estate to technology and from fintech to manufacturing. She helps them with complex corporate transactions, including M&A, joint ventures and debt and equity financings. Known for her technical savvy and business acumen, she also advises on general corporate matters and often acts as outside general counsel to her clients.
In addition, Mara has experience in the highly specialized area of guaranteed and unguaranteed tax credit investment funds, working closely with Katten's tax practice in representing these highly tax-sensitive investment vehicles.
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Debt and equity financings
- Joint ventures
- Restructurings and transactions involving distressed assets
- Tax credit investing
- General corporate advice
- Represented a hedge fund in its nearly $1 billion carve-out acquisition of a mortgage loan and servicing business.
- Represented a hedge fund and real estate private equity fund joint venture in connection with the acquisition of general partner interests in 50 LIHTC projects throughout the Midwest and West.
- Represented industry-leading real estate company in its stock acquisition of a residential mortgage and title insurance company.
- Represented a developer owner in connection with the sale of its general partner interests in seven LIHTC projects located in New York.
- Represented an equipment and accounts receivable company in connection with its stock acquisition of a small-ticket financing company.
- Represented a financial institution and savings bank subsidiary in its $42.5 million acquisition of a tax-related financial solutions provider, acquisition of a consumer tax advance and credit services company, $51 million acquisition of substantially all of a provider of federal and state tax refund products and services, and $77 million acquisition of substantially all of the loan portfolio and related assets of a leading commercial insurance premium financing company.
- Represented the lead seller of one of the largest retail optical chains in an auction process that resulted in the $305 million sale by merger to one of the top US health insurers. *
- Represented a private equity investment firm in a variety of transactions, including its $65.5 million merger acquisition of a magazine and marketing fulfillment services company and its $100 million merger acquisition of industrial cleaning product companies. Also counseled on associated management roll-overs and employment arrangements. *
- Represented various investors and sponsors in JV investments for real estate acquisitions in Manhattan, including a developer forming a JV to acquire a $100 million apartment building in the city.
- Represented a personal oncology company in series of equity financings.
- Represented various issuers and investors in private placements of preferred stock offerings, ranging from tens of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented lenders and debtors in bridge financings of varying sizes. Also performed work for issuers and investors in equity and bridge financings of emerging growth companies. *
- Represent fund sponsors in forming multiple LIHTC and ITC tax credit funds, ranging from $20 million to more than $250 million.
June 11, 2019
June 14, 2018
May 31, 2017
June 17, 2016
July 1, 2015