About Mara A. Glaser McCahan
A seasoned transactional lawyer, Mara Glaser McCahan advises on mergers and acquisitions, financings and a wide range of other deals in both regulated and unregulated industries. Her breadth of practice makes her a creative problem solver and her experience navigating deals across industries gives her valuable insight into how to get transactions closed, while staying attuned to the specific nuances of each industry and deal.
Broad experience in critical transactions
Mara represents banks, private equity funds and enterprises of all sizes, including multibillion-dollar public companies. Her clients touch industries from real estate to technology and from fintech to manufacturing. She helps them with complex corporate transactions, including M&A, joint ventures and debt and equity financings. Known for her technical savvy and business acumen, she also advises on general corporate matters and often acts as outside general counsel to her clients.
She does substantial work involving distressed companies and restructurings, including Section 363 asset sales. In addition, Mara has experience in the highly specialized area of guaranteed and unguaranteed tax credit investment funds, working closely with Katten's tax practice in representing these highly tax-sensitive investment vehicles.
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Debt and equity financings
- Joint ventures
- Restructurings and transactions involving distressed assets
- Tax credit investing
- General corporate advice
- Represent financial institution and savings bank subsidiary in its $42.5 million acquisition of a tax-related financial solutions provider, acquisition of a consumer tax advance and credit services company, $51 million acquisition of substantially all of a provider of federal and state tax refund products and services, and $77 million acquisition of substantially all of the loan portfolio and related assets of a leading commercial insurance premium financing company.
- Represented lead seller of one of the largest retail optical chains in an auction process that resulted in the $305 million sale by merger to one of the top US health insurers. *
- Represented industry-leading real estate company in its stock acquisition of a residential mortgage and title insurance company. *
- Represented telecommunications provider, including local exchange, long distance and data services, in its $122.5 million sale to a global media and technology company. *
- Represented private equity investment firm in a variety of transactions, including its $65.5 million merger acquisition of a magazine and marketing fulfillment services company and its $100 million merger acquisition of industrial cleaning product companies. Also counseled on associated management roll-overs and employment arrangements. *
- Represented government contractors (affiliated speech translation companies) in the sale of technology, IP and other assets to a multibillion-dollar defense contractor. *
- Represented government contractor in its stock purchase of a Canadian surveillance technology and data processing company; its acquisition of substantially all the assets of a provider of secure access technology for voice and data networks; and its stock acquisition of a UK encryption and security equipment manufacturer and data security consultant. *
- Represent hedge fund in its nearly $1 billion carve-out acquisition of a mortgage loan and servicing business.
- Represent various investors and sponsors in JV investments for real estate acquisitions in Manhattan, including a developer forming a JV to acquire a $100 million apartment building in the city.
- Represent personal oncology company in series of equity financings.
- Represent various issuers and investors in private placements of preferred stock offerings, ranging from tens of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented a REIT and special purpose subsidiary of a national bank in issuing $500 million of preferred stock in a private placement. *
- Represented lenders and debtors in bridge financings of varying sizes. Also performed work for issuers and investors in equity and bridge financings of emerging growth companies. *
- Represented several competitive local exchange carriers in financing arrangements, including a $182 million secured telecommunications equipment financing and a $130 million senior secured credit facility. *
- Represent fund sponsors in forming multiple LIHTC and ITC tax credit funds, ranging from $20 million to more than $100 million.
- Represented various purchasers (both as “stalking horses” and as bidders) and sellers of assets in Section 363 transactions through the bankruptcy process. *
- Represented management team of a provider of secure networking and emanation security products in its successful management buyout of the company in bankruptcy. *
- Represented American multinational technology company in its acquisition of certain IP assets of Circuit City in a bankruptcy-governed auction process. *
- Represented ad hoc committee of noteholders in restructuring $100 million of defaulted notes issued by a Russian baby food manufacturer. *
- Corporate representation of debtors and trustees in various manufacturing industry 524(g) reorganizations, up through and including confirmation of the plans. *
June 11, 2019
June 14, 2018
May 31, 2017
June 17, 2016
July 1, 2015