Katten has a long and distinguished history of advising successful entrepreneurs, the businesses they build and the people who invest in them. Our Entrepreneurial Ventures practice continues this legacy. We represent clients through all stages of the business life cycle: initial organization, seed capital, follow-on equity and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, liquidity events and day-to-day matters along the way. We focus on high-growth companies ranging from early-stage businesses to well-known unicorns and leading multigenerational family businesses, with an emphasis on entrepreneurs developing technology-enabled innovations.
Seasoned advice at every stage
We provide clients with pragmatic advice and efficient solutions that complement their drive and creativity and help position them for the future. Extensive experience advising high-growth companies and the entrepreneurs driving them — whether on routine matters or transformational transactions — strengthens our insights.
We pride ourselves on understanding our clients' businesses and solving their problems. Our attorneys are often relied upon as outside general counsel; we are accustomed to answering the question "What would you do?" Clients benefit from our varied network of clients and other relationships, which include:
- First-time and serial entrepreneurs
- Family offices
- High-net-worth investors
- Institutional investors
- Experienced executives
- Owner-operated businesses.
Katten helps owners and decision makers understand what works and what doesn't. We draw upon our work in countless successful financings, acquisitions, divestitures and other representations. Our attorneys deliver the right tailored solutions by collaborating across Katten practices and leveraging the considerable resources and strengths of the firm. Our Entrepreneurial Ventures practice extends beyond the United States. We represent foreign companies in US-based investments, and for US-based clients, we structure cross-border financings and sales outside of the United States.
Whether you're an entrepreneur breaking new ground or a business leader extending your success, we help you manage:
- Corporate governance
- Employee benefits, executive compensation and equity compensation
- Equity and debt financings
- Information and data security
- Intellectual property
- Joint venture and licensing deals
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Sales channels and distribution arrangements
- Securities law compliance
- Technology transfer
- Tax planning.
We are committed to the next generation of business and thought leaders. Katten helped establish Chicago's 1871 digital community and incubator and proudly supports the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center, Clean Energy Trust, Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and Family Business Center of Loyola University.
- 4CGE in its cross-border investments in Lungpacer Medical, a clinical-stage medical device company pioneering the development of neurostimulation systems designed to preserve the integrity and strength of the diaphragm muscle and reduce complications in critically ill patients who require mechanical ventilation.
- The venture capital arm of a publicly traded energy company in more than 40 venture capital investments in innovative clean energy companies. Investments include a sodium ion battery manufacturer, one of the world's largest networks of EV charging stations, a leading provider of demand-management software services, a provider of energy storage solutions and an enterprise energy manager.
- An investment fund focused on health care in a late-stage venture investment in a chemical simulation software company.
- A Los Angeles-based SaaS company focused primarily on cloud-based software and services in the sale of its Microsoft business to a portfolio company of a private equity firm and in various contract- and capital-related matters.
- A technology and data company seeking to revolutionize food labeling regarding agreements—negotiated in parallel but independently—with an American grocery chain whereby our client will provide food data and related services in connection with the launch of a new grocery store model, and the grocery chain will be the co-lead investor in an initial $1.6 million funding round for our client. This is both a key funding event for the client and a key client relationship.
- A global logistics service company in a $25 million strategic investment in a US-based online shipping marketplace and digital platform.
- A biopharmaceutical company with a focus on the treatment of patients with rare and debilitating dermatologic and head and neck conditions in its receipt of a $48 million investment from affiliates of Fidelity Investments.
- An early-stage AI-enabled business solutions company that helps clients automate business processes across workflows and teams in raising more than $50 million in venture capital.
- A branded consumer product company in redeeming an institutional investor, raising more than $100 million in venture capital and structuring a spin-off.
- A SaaS company focused on corporate education and training in a sale to a venture-backed company for cash and equity of approximately $45 million.
- A sales enablement SaaS company in several rounds of venture capital and venture debt financings, acquisitions and ongoing corporate and intellectual property matters.
- A start-up medical device manufacturer in two equity financings and a joint venture with a medical device distribution company to form a software development entity. We also advise the client with respect to option grants, executive employee compensation and employment-related issues, general corporate matters and trademark issues.
- A leading venture capital firm in Series A fundings of a hiring automation software company, a restaurant ticketing company and a parent-to-parent marketplace for secondhand children's apparel.
- A provider of leapfrog DiDi and engagement capabilities in its next-generation Internet chat projects, including the drafting and prosecution of domestic and international patent applications.
- An automated facilities maintenance services manager in connection with growth subordinated debt financing; growth equity and strategic financings with a strategic industry partner; leading institutional investors and strategic high-net-worth investors, the most recent of which was for $150 million and valued the company at $1 billion.
- A venture-backed, SaaS company focused on procurement of contract labor in its formation, more than $35 million of venture financing and sale to a private equity fund for $220 million.
- A leading social media management company for luxury hotels and travel destinations in its organization, multiple equity financing rounds and sale transaction.
- A medical imaging company that provides real-time pathology results in the operating room in connection with its $2 million Series Seed financing.
- An innovative adtech business that provides real-time assessment of viewers' reactions to video content in connection with its $3 million Series A financing.
- An investor in connection with its $5 million purchase of a controlling interest in an innovative Saas non-brokerage lending platform for individuals holding marketable securities.
News | October 21, 2020
News | October 20, 2020
News | October 7, 2020
News | July 29, 2020
New Empire State of Mind? Potential Easing of Restrictions for New York Virtual Currency Business LicensesPublication | July 22, 2020