About Jeffrey R. Patt
Jeffrey Patt represents entrepreneurs, high-growth companies and the investors who invest in these companies. Jeff regularly handles complex and strategic financial M&A transactions and recapitalizations, serves as board and special committee counsel in going-private and related-party transactions, and represents management teams and executives in change in control transactions.
A pragmatic approach to complex deals
Jeff represents a wide range of clients in a variety of corporate matters, including public and private capital transactions, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate governance matters. He has been recognized by The Legal 500 US and Chambers USA for his middle-market M&A practice for the past several years and, more recently, by Chambers USA for his work with startups and emerging companies. According to Chambers USA, clients say Jeff "finds pragmatic solutions to complex problems and convinces the other side that is the right approach." Clients rely on Jeff's candor and efficient problem-solving.
Jeff regularly speaks on a range of topics, including corporate governance and structuring considerations, stockholders' agreements, appraisal rights and remedies, and incenting and retaining management and key employees. Jeff has served as a judge for the Loyola Family Business Center's annual Illinois Family Business of the Year awards. He also is a member of the advisory board to the Chicago office of BBVA Compass.
Since 2006, Jeff has been an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law, teaching a mergers and acquisitions class as part of the LLM program in International and Comparative Law. Additionally, Jeff serves on the alumni board for The Chicago-Kent Law Review, and Jeff's contributions to his alma mater were recognized with a Distinguished Service Award in 2018. Jeff is the co-author of a book on stockholders' agreements.
- Entrepreneurs, including high-growth companies and family-owned businesses
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Capital raising, including venture capital and mezzanine financings
- Corporate governance
- Management representations
- A SaaS company focused on corporate education and training in a sale to a venture-backed Belgian company for cash and equity of approximately $45 million.
- A SaaS company focused on cloud-related services in the sale of its Microsoft business to a portfolio company of a private equity firm.
- A SaaS company focused on procurement of contract labor in more than $35 million of venture capital financing and its sale to a private equity firm for $220 million.
- The venture capital arm of a publicly-traded energy company in more than 40 venture capital investments relating to clean energy technology.
- An investment fund focused on health care in a late-stage venture investment in a chemical simulation software company.
- A branded consumer product company in redeeming an institutional investor, raising more than $100 million in venture capital and structuring a spin-off.
- An early-stage AI-enabled business solutions company in raising more than $50 million in venture capital.
- A sales enablement SaaS company in several rounds of venture capital and subordinated debt financings, acquisitions and ongoing corporate and IP matters.
Mergers and acquisitions
- A publicly traded financial services company, in a variety of matters, including several acquisitions of broker-dealers and clearing operations and capital transactions.
- A wealth management firm in an acquisition and a control transaction with a private equity-backed financial services firm.
- An operator of recovery centers in its sale to a publicly traded health care services company for $350 million.
- A private equity fund in the acquisition of an industrial company for $40 million and subsequent sale of the same business for $120 million; the acquisitions of a food production business, an owner-operated home health care business and a shipping logistics business; the sale of play area manufacturer, and ongoing financing and corporate work for each of these businesses.
- A private equity sponsor and its portfolio companies in more than 20 transactions including the acquisition of a company publicly traded in Canada, a $4 billion going-private transaction, the sale of six K-12 schools to a public company for $575 million, the sale of a specialty insurance company to a publicly traded company for approximately $100 million, the sale of a data center to a publicly traded REIT for approximately $175 million, and several for-profit education and education services transactions.
Management and founder engagements
- The management of an operator of hospitals in the sale of the company from a private equity firm to a combination of a publicly traded REIT and another private equity firm for a total value of about $1.75 billion.
- The founder and 18 percent equity holder, along with management, of a packaging and distribution company in a $1.4 billion sale to a private equity fund.
- The management of a laboratory services company in the sale of the company by one private equity firm to another for a value of approximately $175 million.
Board and special committee engagements
- The special committee of the board of directors of a publicly-traded financial services company in a sale to a private equity fund for approximately $6.3 billion.
- The special committee of the board of directors of a publicly traded hotel operator in a sale transaction valued at approximately $1.3 billion.
- The special committee of the board of directors of a publicly traded retailer in a stock-for-stock merger with a publicly traded related party.
- The board of directors of a venture-backed managed security services provider in a sale to a publicly traded Japanese communications company for approximately $225 million.
July 29, 2020
June 22, 2020
Katten Represents Chicago-Based Health Care Data and Analytics Provider, Lumere, in Acquisition by Global Healthcare ExchangeFebruary 10, 2020
January 29, 2020
June 11, 2019
April 25, 2019
January 24, 2019
November 19, 2018
June 14, 2018
- View All News
Stockholders' Agreements Line by Line: A Detailed Look at Stockholders' Agreements and How to Change Them to Meet Your Clients' Needs2011
May 15, 2009
Presentations and Events
Confidentiality, Liability and Privilege – Legal Issues for the BoardPresenterJune 11, 2019
Governance ConsiderationsPresenterJanuary 12, 2018
PresenterJune 4, 2014
Moderator | Industry Trends in Cyber SecurityMay 13, 2014
Governance and Transfer Issues in Stockholders Agreements, CFO Networking EventApril 11, 2014
PresenterDecember 19, 2013
Current State of the M&A MarketplaceJune 5, 2013
PanelistFebruary 28, 2013
Appraisals and Valuations Experts in the Delaware Court of Chancery presented by the Business Valuation AssociationJanuary 24, 2013
- View All Presentations and Events