Independent sponsors' influence is on the rise, due to the investment flexibility, diversity and project control they provide. We have been advising independent sponsors since they arrived on the M&A scene decades ago, providing the tools these market pioneers need to compete.
Leadership builds deal-to-deal strength
As early legal advisors to independent sponsors and the mezzanine lenders, committed funds and family offices that back them, we understand the unique challenges of these selective deals. We draw on the lessons of the past to create strong structures for the future. Our annual deal analysis features experience-based insights and benchmarking information. Investors and mezzanine lenders depend on this practical market snapshot to evaluate pricing and other terms.
Our high activity level in leveraged buyouts, add-on acquisitions, divestitures and other middle-market transactions gives independent sponsors a window on the preferences of their capital sources. We know what family offices, mezzanine lenders and private equity funds are looking for and how to keep them at the table. Experienced at representing all parties, we advise independent sponsors on:
- Advisory and management fees
- Commercial finance
- Employment, benefits and compensation
- Promote and carried interest
- Tax planning
From initial investment to fund formation
As more investors embrace the independent sponsor model, our clients continue to break new ground. When raising a committed fund becomes an attractive option, our team uses decades of private equity experience to structure funds that align with investment objectives and long-term goals.
- Represent Prairie Capital in acquiring Damac Products, a manufacturer of networking infrastructure products for the telecom and datacom markets.
- Represent OFS SBIC I, LP in its purchase and financing of Mirage Trailers Holdings.
- Represented BASE Equity Partners in acquiring all of the assets of Jolyn Clothing Company.
- Represented Monroe Capital in the control acquisition of Soft Landing Interventions.
- Represent BASE Equity Partners in its acquisition of A.C.T. Lighting, a distributor of lighting control consoles, lighting fixtures and cables for live entertainment events, and the related senior and subordinated debt financings.
- Represent principal investment firm specializing in investing in small- to mid-sized companies in the business services sector in acquiring a health care information provider.
- Represent North Branch Capital in acquiring Circuit Check, a designer and manufacturer of test equipment for electronics and electro-mechanical devices.
- Represent Prairie Capital in investment in related acquisition of printer/manufacturer Double E.
- Represented affiliate of BASE Equity Partners in acquiring a controlling interest in New York Packaging II.
- Represent Modjule in the acquisition of Hickory Farms.
- Represent Prairie Capital in acquisition of Captek Softgel, a manufacturer of custom dietary supplement formulations.
- Represent private equity firm in purchasing 70 percent of the outstanding interests in a management holding company.
- Represent private investment firm in acquiring an indoor greenhouse tomato-growing company based in Minnesota.
- Represent private equity firm in purchase of all outstanding membership interests of insurance adjustor.
News | May 29, 2020
Publication | November 19, 2019
News | June 13, 2019
Laura Keidan Martin and Kimberly Smith Named to Leading Women Lawyers List by Crain's Chicago BusinessNews | July 30, 2018
News | March 26, 2018