About Michael S. McBride
Michael McBride has a range and depth of commercial real estate experience that makes him a valued advisor to clients. With his experience as general counsel for major participants in the commercial real estate finance industry (and as a former consumer of legal services), Michael brings additional knowledge — and perspective — that clients appreciate.
Client focus. Client perspective.
In addition to having served for years as external counsel to major commercial real estate participants — foreign and domestic banks, investment banks, REITs, real estate debt and equity funds, developers, sovereign wealth funds, governmental agencies, pension funds and corporate office tenants — Michael was previously general counsel in the legal group serving a leading commercial real estate credit fund manager/asset manager with several billion dollars of assets under management and, prior to that, was US general counsel of a major German commercial real estate and public finance specialist bank group, with a multibillion-dollar US commercial real estate loan origination, syndication and securitization platform and a NYSE-listed mortgage REIT. From his years on the inside, Michael understands that clients expect not only insightful legal advice from him, but also deep market knowledge, an understanding of their business (including the regulatory framework in which they operate) and a commitment to facilitating their business through transaction efficiencies and creative problem-solving for his clients and their business partners.
Michael has helped clients navigate through the life cycles of their investments during robust — as well as challenging — economic environments and has extensive experience in helping clients workout, restructure and realize upon their investments.
- CRE Finance, including origination, syndication, purchase, sale, servicing, enforcement, workout and restructuring of commercial real estate loans across a broad spectrum of asset classes (retail, hospitality, condominium, multifamily, office and credit tenant) and loan types (construction loans, bridge loans and investment loans) of various priority (mortgage, mezzanine and subordinated loan tranches) in markets across the nation, both as lender’s counsel and borrower’s counsel; subscription lines; and repurchase agreements.
- Acquisitions and dispositions
- Joint ventures
- Infrastructure and P3
Lending, sales and acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Represent nationally active US debt fund manager with respect to multifamily, office, retail and hospitality mortgage and mezzanine loans.
- Represent nationally active US real estate fund manager with respect to subscription line.
- Represent international bank and US pension fund with respect to mortgage loan purchase and syndication transactions.
- Represent real estate fund manager with respect to office and multifamily purchase and sale transactions.
- Represent real estate investment and advisory company with respect to debt and equity joint ventures.
- Represented mortgage REIT with respect to repurchase agreement and revolving credit facilty. *
Workout and restructuring
- Represented a NYSE-listed REIT in restructuring its syndicated mortgage loan secured by a large, luxury residential condominium project in New York City.
- Represented an international bank in the workout of its construction loan secured by a condominium/hotel in Honolulu. *
- Represented an international bank in the workout of its syndicated construction loan secured by a condominium/hotel in Las Vegas. *
Foreclosure and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure
- Represented a large, nationally active US real estate owner/developer in the foreclosure of its mezzanine loan secured by a marquee New York City condominium hotel.
- Represented an international bank in the foreclosure of its syndicated construction mortgage loan secured by a condominium/hotel ski resort development in Colorado. *
- Represented an international bank in a deed-in-lieu transaction with respect to its mortgage loan secured by an office building in the Seaport District of Boston. *
- Represented an international bank in a foreclosure transaction with respect to its mortgage loan secured by a condominium project in Fort Myers, Florida. *
Discounted note sale
- Represented a large US insurer in discounted note sale with respect to its mortgage loan secured by a suburban New Jersey office property.
- Represented a US debt fund manager in the discounted purchase from a special servicer of a mortgage loan secured by an office building in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Represented an international bank with respect to its syndicated construction mortgage loan and DIP financing in the bankruptcy proceeding of the developer of a luxury condominium and retail project in Greenwood Village, Colorado. *
Infrastructure and P3
- Represent bond purchasers with respect to real estate matters in financing of passenger rail line in Florida.
- Represent underwriter with respect to real estate matters in financing of resort hotel and conference center in Puerto Rico.
- Represented FBO operator, underwriter and investor group in separate lease and mortgage transactions with respect to airports in New York, Washington, Texas, Florida, Mississippi and Hawaii.
- Represent state agency with respect to real estate collateral matters and advise underwriter with respect to leasehold mortgage matters in connection with financings of a terminal development at a major international airport.
Katten Represents Ivanhoe Cambridge and Callahan Capital Properties in $2.2 Billion Office Building AcquisitionJanuary 16, 2015
September 9, 2013
November 2, 2020