The complexities of investing in commercial real estate — both directly and through joint ventures — vary greatly by market and asset type, placing a premium on legal acumen and local knowledge. Katten's Real Estate Acquisitions, Dispositions and Joint Ventures group represents private equity funds, real estate investment trusts, insurance companies, investment advisors, public and private companies, and pension funds, as well as developers, managers and operators of real estate, in virtually every asset class, investing in every major US real estate market. The breadth and depth of our practice gives us the ability to respond decisively to opportunities on both the national and local levels.
Acquisitions and dispositions
We handle transactions of every type and size in each market. Our clients — real estate owners, developers and investors of every kind — prize our deep insight into markets and our practical approach to transactions. And since we are also active in the real estate debt markets, representing both lenders and borrowers, our attorneys bring a deep knowledge of financing to every transaction. Our clients rely on us to understand their business models and to structure deals that can produce the returns those models demand.
Joint ventures and equity investment transactions
Joint ventures and similar equity investment vehicles require a nuanced understanding of the relationships of the parties to the transaction — and of their respective rights and obligations — with particular focus on how those relationships change over the life of the investment. Our attorneys' extensive experience representing many types of sponsors and investors gives us a keen understanding of different investor business models and structures, allowing us to identify potential areas of conflict and to structure these complex investment vehicles so as to minimize risk and maximize both returns and tax efficiencies. We take an interdisciplinary approach to these transactions — our real estate attorneys work closely with attorneys in the firm who handle fund formation, securities law, tax and ERISA — to ensure that transactions comply with all aspects of applicable law. From formation of the investment vehicle to final exit, we remain involved with our clients at every stage in the process.
Our practice is national in scope and scale, with seamless collaboration from office to office. We share knowledge of each local business culture across all our offices, giving clients accustomed to one market smooth access to resources and perspectives in others. Our clients see us as practical and business savvy, and they appreciate our ability to protect their interests and maintain their policies as they navigate the eccentricities of each local market.
"We have retained Katten . . . as Buyer/Borrower counsel on several complex real estate transactions over the past five years. They are extremely knowledgeable, responsive, and organized."
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2019 "Best Law Firms"
(Real Estate Law) survey response
- Represented real estate private equity firm in the $633 million sale of the office condo portion of a New York high-rise, $650 million purchase and financing of a Manhattan office tower, and $385 million sale of a 16-story office building in Lower Manhattan.
- Represented alternative investment firm in 13 separate transactions for the $500 million sale of 34 properties. Included office, hotel, industrial, retail and multifamily properties plus a manufactured home park and entitled land parcels.
- Represent real estate private equity firm in the sale of a 49% interest in a mixed-use retail and office tower in New York with a $2 billion+ property value.
- Represent private equity investment management firm in the $295 million sale of a portfolio of 44 industrial properties located across Arizona, Delaware, Illinois, Minnesota and Texas via the sale of the equity interests in 26 individual REITs.
- Represent investment firm in multiple joint ventures with different sponsors to develop, finance and sell multifamily projects in Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Illinois and Massachusetts.
- Represent national banking institution in $200 million-plus sale-leaseback of 500,000-square-foot corporate headquarters building in Troy, Michigan.
- Represent real estate investment trust in its investment in ground leases for hotel, office, medical office, multifamily and self-storage properties.
- Represented real estate investor and operator in the sale of a Manhattan office building that was converted to an equity restructure following default by the purchaser and the uncontested turnover of the asset to a lending group after unsuccessful efforts to restructure the existing debt.
- Represent private equity investment management firm in purchasing a Baltimore, Maryland office project for redevelopment into a corporate headquarters. Our work included the single-tenant lease and joint venture with an equity partner.
- Represent financial institution in a credit tenant lease transaction with an agricultural biotechnology corporation for the construction of a 436,000-square-foot facility in Arizona and $95 million in associated debt financing.
- Represent investment management firm in forming a programmatic joint venture with a senior living company to acquire and renovate various assisted living and memory care facilities throughout the United States.
- Represented real estate investment advisor in the $60 million sale of its 95 percent interest in an office, research and development building in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Represent a BDC as lender of a $25 million mezzanine loan as part of the $106.9 million development of a Chicago hospital.
News | July 29, 2019
News | June 20, 2019
News | May 10, 2019
Event | April 9, 2019
Event | March 27–28, 2019