About David P. Cohen
David Cohen helps clients buy, sell, finance and develop real estate projects. For lenders, inventors, developers and property owners, he advises them on the full range of transactions that can get them closer to their real estate goals. He also has extensive experience with affordable housing and community development transactions.
Wide-ranging experience for wide-ranging goals
Financings, joint ventures and public-private partnerships are among the varied transactions that David works on frequently, including those involving industrial, multifamily, student housing, single family rental (SFR) and self-storage properties. He also advises on land development transactions, including ground leases and mixed-use developments.
David advises developers, lenders and investors in connection with a variety of housing and community development projects. His background in the subject gives him a detailed understanding of a multitude of federal programs including Opportunity Zones, Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs), New Markets Tax Credits and Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits. He is also experienced in tax-exempt bond financings, tax increment financings (TIFs), and FHA, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgage loan transactions.
- Debt and equity financing
- Private equity joint ventures
- Affordable housing, workforce housing, opportunity zones and community development
- Public-private partnerships, TIFs, HUD and tax credit financings
- Tax-exempt bond financings
- Land development transactions
- Health care real estate transactions
- Represent real estate private equity funds in multitude of real estate investments including multifamily developments as well as medical office, student housing, SFR, self-storage and industrial properties.
- Counsel to developer in multifaceted mixed-use development involving office, retail and senior housing (market rate and affordable).
- Represent private equity fund in multiple co-investment transactions with family office and pension plan investors to develop student housing projects throughout the East Coast.
- Represent developer in acquisition and assemblage of land and subsequent financing and development of luxury apartment complex.
- Represent private equity funds in joint venture transactions to develop single family rental properties throughout the Southeastern and Southwestern United States.
- Represent seller of portfolio of medical office buildings.
- Represent private equity fund in the formation of a joint venture and development of a mixed-use property under a ground lease.
- Counsel to purchaser of multiple, large-scale subsidized housing developments using conventional debt financing and private equity.
- Counsel to financial institution in investments in several 80-20 transactions in New York.
- Represent public company in acquisitions of real estate throughout the United States.
- Counsel to low-income housing tax credit developer in obtaining seven tranches of financing, including LIHTCs, state tax credits, tax-exempt bonds, AHP funds, tax increment financing and energy grants.
- Counsel to nonprofit educational institution utilizing NMTC financing in the development of athletic facilities.
- Represent family office in investment in multiple restaurant development transactions.
- Counsel to developer in acquisition and assemblage of land parcels and subsequent redevelopment of previously blighted property into mixed-use development.
August 18, 2022
January 28, 2022
October 27, 2021
August 19, 2021
August 20, 2020
May 31, 2016
December 1, 2015
July 16, 2015
December 8, 2016
March 11, 2016
February 8, 2016
December 21, 2015
July 2, 2015
March 13, 2013
September 4, 2012
1998"Improving the Supply of Affordable Housing: The Role of the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit," Journal of Law and Policy
Presentations and Events
May 1, 2017Panelist | Latest Developments in the Illinois Bond Market
November 5, 2015Moderator | Englewood Square – A Model for Community Development
March 18, 2015Affordable Housing Investors Council Spring MeetingModerator | The Next Big Thing?: Understanding and Evaluating the New Preservation Funds
January 22, 2015IMN Winter Forum on Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund InvestingSpeaker | General Partner & Operating Partner JVs
October 6, 2014Moderator | National Housing & Rehabilitation Association Fall 2014 Developers Forum – Preserving Affordable Housing with Private Equity
April 23, 20142014 Illinois Governor's Conference on Affordable HousingModerator
June 20, 2013Co-presenter | For-Profit/Non-Profit Partnerships
April 24, 20132013 Illinois Governor's Conference on Affordable HousingSpeaker
May 10, 2012The New Markets Tax Credit: How It Works and Where It's GoingModerator
- View All Presentations and Events