About David P. Cohen
David Cohen helps clients buy, sell, finance and develop real estate projects. For lenders, inventors, developers and property owners, he advises them on the full range of transactions that can get them closer to their real estate goals. He also counsels government clients on affordable housing and community development.
Wide-ranging experience for wide-ranging goals
Financings, joint ventures and public-private partnerships are among the varied transactions that David works on frequently. He also advises on land development transactions, including ground leases and mixed-use developments.
David advises developers, lenders and investors in connection with a variety of housing and community development projects. His background in the subject gives him a detailed understanding of a multitude of federal programs including Opportunity Zones, Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs), New Markets Tax Credits and Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits. He is also experienced in tax-exempt bond financings, tax increment financings (TIFs), and FHA, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgage loan transactions.
- Debt and equity financing
- Private equity joint ventures
- Affordable housing, workforce housing, opportunity zones and community development
- Public-private partnerships, TIFs, HUD and tax credit financings
- Tax-exempt bond financings
- Land development transactions
- Health care real estate transactions
- Represent developer in acquisition and assemblage of land and subsequent financing and development of luxury apartment complex.
- Represent developer of assisted living facilities in the Midwest and Southeastern United States.
- Represent multiple real estate private equity funds in multitude of real estate investments including multifamily developments as well as medical office, senior housing, retail, hotel and industrial properties.
- Counsel to developer in multifaceted mixed-use development involving office, retail and senior housing (market rate and affordable).
- Represent seller of portfolio of medical office buildings.
- Represent private equity fund in the formation of a joint venture and development of a mixed-use property under a ground lease.
- Counsel to purchaser of multiple, large-scale subsidized housing developments using conventional debt financing and private equity.
- Counsel to financial institution in investments in several 80-20 transactions in New York.
- Represent public company in acquisitions of real estate throughout the United States.
- Counsel to low-income housing tax credit developer in obtaining seven tranches of financing, including LIHTCs, state tax credits, tax-exempt bonds, AHP funds, tax increment financing and energy grants.
- Counsel to nonprofit educational institution utilizing NMTC financing in the development of athletic facilities.
- Represent family office in investment in multiple restaurant development transactions.
- Counsel to developer in acquisition and assemblage of land parcels and subsequent redevelopment of previously blighted property into mixed-use development.
May 31, 2016
December 1, 2015
July 16, 2015
December 8, 2016
March 11, 2016
February 8, 2016
December 21, 2015
July 2, 2015
March 13, 2013
September 4, 2012
"Improving the Supply of Affordable Housing: The Role of the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit," Journal of Law and Policy1998
Presentations and Events
May 1, 2017
November 5, 2015
Affordable Housing Investors Council Spring MeetingMarch 18, 2015
IMN Winter Forum on Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund InvestingJanuary 22, 2015
Moderator | National Housing & Rehabilitation Association Fall 2014 Developers Forum – Preserving Affordable Housing with Private EquityOctober 6, 2014
2014 Illinois Governor's Conference on Affordable HousingApril 23, 2014
June 20, 2013
2013 Illinois Governor's Conference on Affordable HousingApril 24, 2013
The New Markets Tax Credit: How It Works and Where It's GoingMay 10, 2012
- View All Presentations and Events