About Scott M. Vetri
Scott Vetri serves as the co-head of the New York Real Estate practice. He has spent his career assembling and closing sophisticated commercial real estate transactions. In his national practice, he represents owners, funds and developers in financings, acquisitions, dispositions, leases and joint ventures.
Transactional counsel informed by client-side experience
Scott is in his element when working on a complex, time-sensitive transaction. Clients rely on his years of experience to drive their important deals from initial negotiations through to a successful closing. Having previously served as chief legal officer of Ark Investment Partners, an international, institutionally capitalized real estate fund and property management company, Scott views each matter from a client's perspective. He also has past lender-side experience.
In deals that present unusual challenges, Scott is an asset to his clients. They include operators and managers of multifamily, office, industrial and hotel properties; in one instance, he successfully completed the sale of a hotel while it was still under construction. Whatever the complications on a particular deal, Scott frequently anticipates the challenges ahead and finds creative solutions to them. His goal for every matter is to close the deal efficiently and within his client's time constraints.
"Scott Vetri . . . has always been great to work with. He is not one of these attorneys who hits the buzzer when you say hello, but he will answer questions whether it relates to a specific transaction or not. It has always been a pleasure dealing with him."
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2019 "Best Law Firms"
(Real Estate Law) survey response
- Equity-side representation in commercial real estate transactions
- Acquisitions and dispositions of assets and equity interests
- Joint ventures
- Fund formation
Acquisition/Disposition/Joint venture transactions
- Represented Starrett City Associates in the $850 million sale of Spring Creek Towers (formerly called Starrett City) to Brooksville Company LLC and Rockpoint Group LLC.
- Represent real estate fund in acquisition and financing of a 1.144 million-square-foot mixed-use complex in Minneapolis.
- Represent real estate fund in acquisition and financing of a 1.6 million-square-foot mixed-use complex in Minneapolis.
- Represented real estate fund in acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of a 463,000-square-foot office building in Boston.
- Represented real estate fund in acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of a 1.4 million-square-foot office building in Chicago.
- Represented real estate fund in acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of a 250,000-square-foot office building in Washington, DC.
- Represented real estate fund in acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of a 253,000-square-foot office building in Washington, DC.
- Represent international investor in $2.2 billion acquisition of an office and retail complex in New York City.
- Represented international investor in joint venture acquisition of a 1.9 million-square-foot office building in New York City.
- Represented international investor in joint venture acquisition of a 420,000-square-foot office building in New York City.
- Represent real estate fund in the sale of a 4-star luxury, franchised hotel in New York City.
- Represent real estate fund in acquisition of a joint venture interest in a 2.3 million-square-foot office building and a 250-stall parking garage in New York City.
- Represented European real estate bank in making an acquisition and construction loan secured by property in Nassau County, New York, including industrial development authority benefits.
- Represent institutional lender in mortgage loan secured by a shopping mall in Pennsylvania.
- Represent international banking and financial services institution in leasing 375,000 square feet of office space and retail space in a to-be-renovated office building in New York City.
- Represent international banking and financial services institution in leasing 175,000 square feet of office space in an office building in New York City.
- Represent international banking and financial services institution in leasing 230,000 square feet of office space and retail space in a to-be-constructed office building in Houston.
- Represent international banking and financial services institution in leasing 60,000 square feet of office space and retail space in a to-be-constructed office building in Austin.
- Represent financial services firm in headquarters lease of office space in New York City.
- Represent real estate fund (landlord) in leasing 60,000 square feet of office space in a redevelopment project in Chicago.
Katten Attorneys Distinguished as Top Legal Talent in the 2021 Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch ListsAugust 20, 2020
Katten Named Top-Tier Firm in Structured Finance and Securitization by The Legal 500 United States 2020 GuideJune 16, 2020
January 14, 2020
January 8, 2020
October 21, 2019
September 13, 2018
May 8, 2018
September 20, 2017
May 31, 2017
- View All News
US District Court Rules That COVID-19 Could Constitute Physical Loss Supporting a Claim for Business Income Loss in Denying a Motion to DismissAugust 31, 2020
May 29, 2020
February 3, 2016
Case Study: Joint Venture Investment Relating to the Starrett-Lehigh BuildingNovember 8, 2006
Negotiating the Brier Patch: 1031 Investor CapitalMarch 27, 2006
Like Kind Transactions Present Some ChallengesMarch 27, 2006
Negotiating a Commercial Lease
Commercial Lease Negotiations
Presentations and Events
Moderator | JV Best Practices and Deal StructuringJune 24–26, 2018
PresenterJune 28, 2016
Presenter | Breakout: How to Deal With a Disaster ScenarioApril 13–14, 2016
PanelistMay 20, 2015
IMN US Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing ForumPanelist | Due Diligence for Acquisition & Downside Analysis: This Is Not a Drive ByMay 29, 2013
SponsorJanuary 25, 2012
Katten and Warnick Company SeminarDistressed Hotel AssetsFebruary 16, 2006