Three Katten Health Care attorneys will present during IPMI's 2016 Healthcare Law & Compliance Institute. Partner Michael Callahan will present "Think Tank Session: Patient Safety Organizations—Compliance Requirements and How to Maximize Confidentiality and Privilege Protections" on Sunday, March 6 at 4:30 p.m. This round table discussion will include:
- identification of key statutory requirements to achieve compliance;
- a review of example patient safety evaluation system policies that are designed to maximize confidentiality and privilege;
- protections of patient safety activities; and
- litigation lessons learned in anticipation of discovery challenges in state and federal courts.
Partners Ken Davis and Laura Martin, national head of the firm's Health Care practice, will co-present "The Race to Consolidate: Navigating Strategic Transactions and Risk-Sharing Ventures" on Monday, March 7 at 9:15 a.m. This session will focus on vertical and horizontal consolidation strategies and risk sharing ventures that can help health care providers accomplish their business objectives, as well as the pitfalls to avoid. This session will address:
- alternative transaction structures for hospital consolidations—when a full merger is not an option;
- service-line specific horizontal strategies;
- vertical strategies with physicians, post-acute care providers and ambulatory care companies (including publicly traded and private equity backed companies);
- network strategies with payors and providers; and
- the pros, cons, pointers and pitfalls associated with each type of transaction structure.