About John E. Mitchell
John Mitchell has deep experience handling a wide array of commercial restructuring and reorganization matters. His clients trust him with complex bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts and sales, voluntary liquidations, asset sales and other insolvency-related litigation. John understands the unique needs of lenders, creditors and debtors and brings that perspective to every restructuring matter he is involved in.
Providing counsel by truly understanding his clients’ businesses
In addition to his knowledge of bankruptcy law, John is known for building strong relationships with his clients. He frequently serves clients from a range of industries, including those in the energy, oil and gas, retail and restaurant, power, commercial finance, shipping, and transportation.
John honorably served as a Lieutenant in the United States Army during Operation Desert Storm and Operation Provide Comfort (Kurdish Refugee Relief Effort). During his military career, he received the Parachutist Badge, the Southwest Asia Service Medal and the Humanitarian Service Medal.
"John Mitchell is a highly strategic attorney who can cut through the noise and focus on the truly important issues. He is equally effective in the courtroom as at the negotiating table."
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2022 "Best Law Firms"
(Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law) survey response
- Insolvency-related litigation
- Chapter 11 proceedings
- Out-of-court restructurings
- Distressed M&A transactions and asset sales
- Routinely represent midstream oil and gas companies in multiple Chapter 11 and potential Chapter 11 filings throughout the United States.
- Lead counsel to Republic Metals Corporation, one of the largest refiners of gold, silver and precious metals in North America, in the Chapter 11 sale and related litigation of over $100 million in competing claims to a $225 million precious metal asset pool in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. *
- Lead counsel to a leading national midstream energy pipeline company in the Chapter 11 of natural gas producer EdgeMarc Energy Holdings in Chapter 11 in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. *
- Lead counsel to a leading national midstream energy pipeline company in the Chapter 11 sale and liquidation of Philadelphia Energy Solutions, the owner and operator of the Point Breeze and Girard Point oil refineries, located on an integrated 1,300-acre refining complex in Philadelphia. *
- Represented corporation and affiliated debtors that collectively owned and operated approximately 330 restaurants across the United States in their Chapter 11 case. *
- Represented a coal bed methane producer as lead counsel in Chapter 11 restructuring of more than $800 million in debts and successful sale of assets in distressed M&A process. *
- Represented offshore service and supply company and its subsidiaries as lead counsel in the restructuring of $1 billion in debts through both Chapter 11 and out-of-court exchange process. *
- Represented official equity committee in Chapter 11 of leading body armor manufacturer and pursuit of restitution claims in excess of $100 million. *
- Represented financial institution as senior secured lender for claims in excess of $30 million in the Chapter 11 case of an offshore oil and gas exploration, development, acquisitions and production company. *
- Represented multiple foreign lenders in commercial shipping Chapter 11 restructuring and retiring of more than $200 million in debts. *
- Represented leading cafeteria/casual restaurant chain in the Southwest in Chapter 11 and sale of 25 retail locations and food processing/distribution centers with debts in excess of $40 million. *
- Represented national consumer finance company in a multimillion-dollar litigation through the use of Chapter 11 claims process for multi-location car dealerships. *
- Represented national bank as agent bank in $70 million syndicated loan facility restructured through the Chapter 11 of a major Midwest restaurant company. *
- Represented Texas osteopathic hospital in wind down restructuring process. *
- Represented health care finance company in bankruptcy of regional sleep disorder chain. *
- Represented health care finance company in bankruptcy and litigation related to chiropractic and dental advertising agency. *
September 23, 2022
August 18, 2022
June 8, 2022
June 1, 2022
April 22, 2022
December 3, 2021
September 22, 2021
August 19, 2021
June 10, 2021
- View All News
Presentations and Events
November 15, 2017Restaurant Finance & Development ConferenceSpeaker | M&A and Casual Dining: Navigate and Find Opportunities in Distressed Restaurants
June 2017Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA) 2017 Annual ConferenceSpeaker | Structured Dismissals
April 2017American Bankruptcy Institute Annual Spring MeetingPanelist | Why Are My Favorite Restaurants Closing? Review and Forecast of Restaurant Case Issues
March 23, 2017Texas A&M University School of Law, 8th Energy SymposiumPanelist | Bankruptcy Issues in the Energy Sector
July 20, 2016Dallas Bar Association, Energy Law SectionPresenter | Two Years In…A Look Back, Distress Today, and a View Toward the Future
March 6, 2016Texas Aggie Bar Association, Annual ConferencePresenter
March 2, 2013Texas Aggie Bar Association Annual ConferencePresenter | The Bankruptcy Courts and Code: Procedural, Ethical and Other Considerations for the Non-Bankruptcy Lawyer