London Training Contract
We have a variety of practice groups providing a full service to clients, and do not align our trainees to strict departmental seats, which ensures you get as broad an experience as possible. We recruit up to three trainees each year; having a small intake means you are given responsibility early and are able to build internal networks quickly. Our training contract is flexible, designed with your interests in mind as well as our desire to create rounded, commercial, qualified Katten lawyers with strong legal knowledge. Our first year trainee salary is currently £47,000, which increases to £52,000 for second years. In order to be considered for a training contract with us, candidates are expected to first take part in our Summer Vacation Scheme.
London Summer Vacation Scheme
We offer 8-10 places on our one-week vacation scheme, with the next programme running from 20-24 June 2022. As well as attending a series of partner and associate-led talks, our programme provides practical experience; you will undertake a variety of work from different practice areas and see first-hand how our fee-earners work. You will also be matched with a trainee or junior associate, who will be your mentor for the week, and will have the opportunity to join some great social events! Participants are paid £300 for the week. We are hopeful that our 2022 week will run in-person. If that is not possible owing to the continued challenges posed by COVID-19, the scheme will be modified and hosted virtually. At the end of the week, the strongest performers will be invited to interview for a training contract.
Applications for our Summer Vacation Scheme 2022 are open from 18 October to 15 December 2021. After the closing date, applications will be assessed and a shortlist of candidates will be interviewed in February/March 2022. The scheme is open to all graduates, penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, and we welcome applications from all degree disciplines. You should have, or be on track for, a 2:1 or above and we look for a minimum of ABB at A-Level or equivalent.
To apply, please send your CV, covering letter and academic transcripts to Laura Simpson, Recruitment and L&D Manager, at email@example.com. Please carefully follow the below guidelines to ensure your CV and covering letter are free of all identifying information; any applications which do not adhere to the below will be automatically disregarded.
- Your CV and covering letter should be sent in Word format only
- Both should be attached as separate documents and not set out in the body of the email
- Your covering letter should be no longer than 1.5 pages- the more concise the better
- Any mitigating circumstances should be labelled as such and placed at the bottom of the covering letter
- To make the selection process as fair as possible, we are using blind recruitment- the removal of identifying information from CVs and covering letters- in our recruitment process
- When submitting your CV and covering letter please therefore remove your name, address, email address and any social media profiles; the only place your name should appear is on the email to which you attach your application documents. Please also remove all reference to the name of your university, college and school, whilst ensuring grades remain on your CV.
- Your academic transcripts will be checked separately
Right to Work
- We require confirmation of your right to work in the UK so please provide a clearly visible scan of your passport/ID document
- If you are currently on a student or work visa please provide scans of these
- If you are an EU citizen who has secured pre-settled/settled status please log into the UK government portal and download the appropriate page – providing your log in code and your DOB will not be sufficient
- Your right to work documentation will be checked separately
London Work Experience Placements
We recognise how invaluable work experience is for those at the very beginning of their career journey, and never more so than during these uncertain times. We offer up to 8 places on our one-week placement for school-leavers aged 18 or over and first-year university students looking to gain insight into the workings of a law firm. Our next programme will take place on 15-19 August 2022. To apply, please send your CV and covering letter, following the guidance above, to Laura Simpson, Recruitment and L&D Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org between 04 and 29 April 2022 only.
Please note that our work experience placements are junior in nature and they are not limited to exposure to legal work, but cover a range of departments such as HR, BD and Accounts. Our placements do not lead to training contract considerations.