About Barrett C. Mallos
Barrett Mallos helps lenders, borrowers and servicers overcome obstacles and break through logjams to close a wide variety of commercial real estate finance transactions. Recognized as a 2017 Leader in the Law by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly and selected as one of the Charlotte Business Journal's "40 under 40" in 2016, Barrett brings thoughtful responsiveness to every deal he handles.
Critical perspective for both lenders and borrowers
Barrett represents lenders and borrowers in connection with permanent and bridge loan originations, financings intended for securitization, and mezzanine loans. Barrett has in-depth experience across asset types and borrower organizational structures, with a particular emphasis on Delaware statutory trusts.
Barrett frequently advises lenders, servicers and borrowers regarding issues related to the servicing of mortgage loans and has extensive experience with respect to defeasance transactions.
In every transaction, Barrett strives for an efficient process and closing that minimizes unnecessary disruption, conflict and expense for his clients. His experience covers modification, restructuring and forbearance of distressed mortgage loans from both a lender and borrower perspective. Barrett's extensive lending work gives him a good window into what is or is not market as well as the experience to tackle unusual issues. This experience also benefits his borrower clients, as it gives him a great window into what lenders generally will accept and hot-button issues that can complicate a deal.
- Commercial real estate finance transactions, representing banks, conduit lenders, private equity firms and other institutional lenders
- Lending transactions involving commercial mortgage-backed securities
- Modification and structuring of distressed commercial loans
- Defeasance of securitized loans
- Provided counsel related to forbearance and modification of mortgage loans secured by hospitality and retail properties impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Provided counsel related to workout of distressed commercial mortgage loans with a focus on branded hospitality and retail properties.
- Provided counsel related to deed-in-lieu of foreclosure, and subsequent resale, of distressed hospitality property in San Diego.
January 29, 2021
January 14, 2020
January 8, 2020
January 31, 2018
April 6, 2016
August 5, 2014
Presentations and Events
January 11, 2018