Michael Callahan, of counsel in Katten's Health Care practice, will present "Integrating Medical Staffs in a Multi-Hospital System: Challenges, Options and Proposed Solutions" on Wednesday, September 18 at 12:00 p.m. (CT). This webinar will discuss a due diligence checklist of areas which must be evaluated in understanding and addressing the challenges which the hospitals, health systems and medical staffs are likely to face as part of a merger or affiliation. The program will offer some options to consider when choosing to merge or create an affiliation, the pros and cons of each, as well as proposed approaches and solutions.
Topics will include:
- use of a single unified medical staff;
- reconciling disparate medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies;
- the challenges of employed versus independent medical staff members;
- conflicting privileging/credentialing/eligibility standards and impact on hearing rights;
- exclusive provider contracts with different or even competing groups;
- medical staff officers and department governance;
- disparate policies relating to maximizing state and federal peer review privilege protections;
- "economic credentialing" issues;
- physician compensation differences;
- the use of health care blockchain to attest in physician integration;
- conflicting medical staff bylaws, rules, and regulations;
- conflicting credentialing and privileging criteria and eligibility standards; and
- conflicting physician contracts.