About Katy Pollitt
Sara (“Katy”) Pollitt leverages her prior in-house experience to counsel physician practices, health systems, private equity-backed management entities and other members of the health care industry on complex transactions and compliance matters. Whether performing and managing due diligence, conducting research, drafting documents or providing legal guidance, Katy is resourceful, efficient, and thorough to achieve the best results for her clients.
Organized and tenacious, driving practical solutions
Prior to joining Katten, Katy spent two years in-house as a Legal Fellow at a Chicago-based, U.S. News’ top ranked academic medical center and health system where she learned how to provide practical solutions that align with strategic objectives, while navigating complex risk during unprecedented circumstances. Since joining Katten, Katy has provided legal support to a variety of health care industry players conducting complex transactions, including private equity-backed management entities, physician practices, and health systems, through robust due diligence review and management, in-depth research, and regulatory and compliance guidance. In addition, Katy advises a variety of health care provider clients on matters involving the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), and other regulatory and corporate matters such as billing compliance, the corporate practice of medicine, clinical trial management and licensing.
Katy has served in a variety of leadership and educational roles in both the national and Illinois community. In particular, she serves as a Co- Chair for the American Bar Association-Health Law Section’s Technology and Marketing Committee (2023-Present) and she was formerly the Vice Chair for the American Bar Association-Health Law Section’s Web and Technology Committee (2019-2022), Social Media Representative for the American Bar Association-Health Law Section’s Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Interest Group (2019-2022) and a Member of the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys’ Symposium Committee in 2020. During her Fellowship, Katy also served as an Adjunct Instructor to the academic health center’s Health System Management program where Katy co-taught a healthcare law and ethics course to aspiring healthcare administrators. Katy is committed to supporting the greater legal and healthcare communities to facilitate knowledge and growth in the legal profession and healthcare industry.
- Healthcare Providers, including large health systems, physician practices, individual providers, and managed care entities.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Joint Ventures
- Federal and state fraud and abuse compliance, including Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law
- Health IT and privacy
- Corporate Practice of Medicine
- Billing compliance and reimbursement
- Research and Clinical Trial Compliance
- Assisted private equity-backed national management entity in purchase transactions with multiple anesthesia physician practices.
- Assisted private equity-backed national management entity in purchase transactions with multiple gastroenterology practices.
- Advised and assisted large health system with its affiliation with, and disaffiliation from, various industry partners.
- Guided multiple physician practices in a variety of specialties in sale transactions with private equity-backed national management entities.
- Advised research grant foundation in contracting matters with institutions and collaborative arrangements with other foundations.
- Advised managed care entities through complex contracting and other regulatory issues.
- Represented health system in government advocacy efforts.
January 25, 2024
January 24, 2023