About Levi J. Giovanetto
Levi Giovanetto is a trusted voice on behalf of corporate clients facing government inquiries and conducting internal investigations. He has deep experience representing Fortune 100 companies contending with allegations of securities fraud and other high-profile criminal enforcement matters.
Mitigating risk through attention to detail
When in the midst of an internal investigation, Levi works closely with clients to identify and address potential mistakes before they become criminal matters. He has particular experience in tracking and analyzing enforcement trends and regulatory activity from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and other government agencies, allowing him to anticipate his clients' needs and apprise them of how developments may affect their businesses.
Levi is known for resolving SEC, Department of Justice (DOJ) and other enforcement matters with no enforcement action taken, and working to reach favorable settlements with the government. If necessary, Levi has solid trial experience, having reached a complete dismissal at trial against the SEC in one case and convincing the DOJ to dismiss all felony counts in another trial after five weeks.
Well-versed in commercial litigation, Levi has handled matters ranging in complexity from pleading through trial with efficient and effective results. He routinely handles mediations, arbitrations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Levi also has a thriving pro bono practice. Some of his cases include winning relief from deportation on behalf of a father and son fleeing gang violence and death threats in Central America, obtaining permanent residency on behalf of an immigrant under the Violence Against Women Act, and achieving a favorable settlement in a civil rights lawsuit brought by students in Mobile, Alabama. While in law school, Levi served as a member of the University of Chicago Law Review.
- White-collar defense
- Commercial litigation
- Internal investigations
- SEC and CFTC enforcement actions
- Represented Fortune 50 company in investigations by SEC and DOJ into allegations of securities fraud and misleading investors. *
- Obtained no-action determination from SEC on behalf of investment firm following multi-year investigation concerning disclosures around investment strategies and alleged false statements. *
- Represented Fortune 50 company in regulatory inquiries into alleged spoofing and other violations by high-frequency traders. *
- Successfully defended criminal defendant charged with health care fraud and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute in four-week federal trial. *
- Won significant arbitration award on behalf of private tech start-up in securities dispute. *
- Obtained favorable settlement representing two executives in hundred-million-dollar securities fraud class action and related opt-out litigation. *
- Successfully represented high-profile labor union in antitrust investigation by DOJ. *
- On behalf of Fortune 50 company, conducted internal investigation into allegations of widespread violations of banking regulations. *
- Successfully represented large health care provider in multimillion-dollar complex commercial litigation involving claims of breach of contract, tortious interference and fraud. *
- On behalf of large public university, conducted internal investigation into allegations of whistleblower retaliation and illegal board conduct. *
- On behalf of the audit committee of a publicly traded company, conducted internal investigation into allegations of securities fraud involving revenue recognition. *
- On behalf of the audit committee of Fortune 500 publicly traded company, conducted internal investigation into allegations of fraud and false statements against the CEO and other executives. *
- Successfully mediated multimillion-dollar, complex commercial litigation dispute on behalf of Fortune 100 company. *
- On behalf of private media company, led investigation into multi-year scheme involving credit card fraud. Successfully recovered losses through insurance and referral for criminal prosecution. *
- Counseled large insurance agency regarding FCPA compliance and other regulatory risk. *
August 11, 2021