About Michael L. Sherlock
Michael L. Sherlock maintains a robust corporate practice enabling him to effectively solve a broad array of business challenges. His goal is to identify, prioritize and solve the critically important issues facing a deal or project while simultaneously driving the transaction to a swift conclusion.
Applying practical and efficient solutions to complex corporate issues
At Katten, Michael primarily represents family offices, high-net-worth individuals, and private equity-backed platform companies in their corporate transactions. Michael’s practice encompasses corporate and family office structuring, private investments, mergers and acquisitions, and divestitures. Michael also serves the role of outside general counsel for his clients, advising on startup and formation matters, employee incentive and co-investment plans, recapitalizations, and other general corporate matters.
Prior to joining Katten, Michael worked at a boutique corporate law firm in Chicago primarily focusing on middle-market mergers and acquisitions. In his role as deal counsel, Michael managed external and internal teams to efficiently execute time sensitive transactions, enhance strategic outcomes, and minimize execution risk. His clients included private equity-backed Veterinary Service Organizations, middle-market businesses and their owners, and high-net-worth individuals.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private wealth
- Advised majority owner in sale of car dealerships.
- Represented high-net-worth individual in buyout of partner in custom electrical connector business.
- Represented high-net-worth individual in buyout of equity partners in golf course and hospitality management business.
- Represented investment group in Series A Preferred Stock investment in medical laser startup.
- Designed, drafted, and implemented two-tier equity incentive plan for investment professionals of international family office.
- Established Illinois family office.
- Represented investment group in recapitalization, including redemptions of various partners and investments by new partners.
- Lead counsel representing private equity-backed Veterinary Support Organizations in closing over 60 add-on acquisitions. *
- Represented Florida-based family office in its structuring, venture capital and other private investments, and day-to-day corporate management. *
- Advised vertically integrated cannabis company in its sale to a publicly traded MSO. *
- Advised custom-labeling business in its sale to private equity-backed purchaser. *
- Represented independent marketing innovation company in sale to private equity firm, which sale established digital marketing platform. *
- Advised ophthalmic instruments business in sale to private equity-backed purchaser. *
- Advised majority owner in sale of private label oral care business to internationally headquartered, publicly traded pharmaceutical company. *
- Advised venture capital arm of trading firm on various VC investments. *
January 24, 2023
November 17, 2022
Presentations and Events
September 22, 2022