About Rachel M. Riley
Rachel Riley focuses her practice on federal criminal defense. She has successfully prevented indictments, gotten charges dismissed and obtained favorable sentences for clients. Notably, Rachel also has earned acquittals in federal court on multiple counts of fraud. Her practice focuses on white-collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement matters and internal investigations. Rachel has represented clients in matters involving health care fraud, embezzlement, securities fraud, public corruption and various other economic crimes. She regularly appears before the Department of Justice, the SEC and other state and federal agencies. She also served as federal trial counsel and argued dispositive motions in both state and federal court.
Knowing the prosecutor’s business and the client’s is vital to the defense
Rachel has worked for numerous former federal prosecutors and understands how the Department of Justice approaches a case. While sworn-in as an Assistant District Attorney on a three-month special assignment to the Dallas County District Attorney's office, Rachel tried numerous cases to verdict, gaining valuable experience as a prosecutor. She recognizes that knowing her client's business is key to building a defense against charges. It also is important in order to properly advise a company or individual on how to avoid problems in the future.
During law school, Rachel was a staff editor for The SMU Science and Technology Law Review. She also interned for the Honorable Judge Jane Boyle in the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas and for the Honorable Justice Elizabeth Lang-Miers in the Texas Fifth District Court of Appeals.
- White collar and internal investigations
- Health care
- Second-chaired a federal health care fraud case alleging Anti-Kickback violations and violations of the Controlled Substance Act. Obtained acquittal for the client, a physician, on seven counts.
- Represented a marketer in a $400 million health care fraud scheme, obtaining a favorable sentence for the client.
- Represented insurance business owner during a multiple-week federal bribery trial.
- Drafted and successfully argued a motion to suppress in a federal case that was featured on the front page of the Dallas Morning News. Obtained the dismissal of two counts for the client and his immediate release from jail. *
- First chair of bench trial in breach of contract dispute. Secured win. *
- Represented client charged via complaint with theft at the state level. Obtained a no-bill from the grand jury. *
- First chaired multiple misdemeanor criminal trials at the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office. *
- Represented key witness charged with conspiracy in a large-scale public corruption case. Obtained sentence of probation. *
- Represented large retailer in conducting an internal investigation regarding a matter under FINRA’s jurisdiction. *
- Represented large financial services company in conducting an internal investigation regarding a matter under the SEC’s jurisdiction. Also advised in defense of a shareholder class-action lawsuit alleging securities law violations. *
- Represented individual charged with criminal violations of the FDCA for the promotion and sale of synthetic marijuana. *
- Represented dietary supplement company owner under investigation for alleged criminal FDCA violations. *
- Represented executive in alleged health care fraud scheme. *
- Represented professional athlete in alleged criminal tax evasion scheme. *
- Represented federally insured financial institution in relation to a cybersecurity breach and the compromise of personally identifiable information. *
- Represented industrial gas company in internal investigation regarding a special inquiry issued by the US Department of Energy Inspector General in conjunction with the Defense Contract Audit Agency concerning the alleged misuse of government contract funds. *
April 21, 2022
March 29, 2022
August 27, 2021
August 19, 2021
March 26, 2021
December 16, 2020
December 1, 2020
October 19, 2020
August 20, 2020
- View All News
Presentations and Events
June 14, 2021Presenter