About Peter G. Wilson
The financial services industry is under constant scrutiny from regulators. Peter Wilson’s familiarity with the business of financial services firms, as well as the regulatory landscape, allows him to quickly assess clients’ potential legal exposure and identify the best solutions. He represents financial firms in regulatory inquiries, criminal investigations and high-stakes litigation, advising them on how to effectively interact with the government and to bring an efficient end to proceedings.
As a former attorney at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Peter understands how regulators think and set priorities. He's guided clients through probes by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and options and futures exchanges. With his ability to speak the language of the financial world and his fluency with its most esoteric products, he doesn’t need time to understand the issues his clients are facing.
Peter has represented clients accused of manipulating markets, defrauding investors and engaging in anticompetitive behavior. A significant part of his practice involves representing corporate boards and corporate monitors charged with investigating whether companies have installed sufficient controls to prevent misconduct.
His government experience, including his work enforcing the Dodd-Frank Act, positions him to craft arguments that resonate with regulators. In numerous situations, he has persuaded regulators to refrain from taking any action against his client, whether based on inadequate training given to an executive, unfairness concerns with applying an obscure regulation or other compelling reasons. Whatever the issue, Peter seeks to bring about speedy resolutions that allow businesses to keep operating as profitably as possible.
- Financial services regulation and compliance
- Securities litigation and enforcement
- White collar and internal investigations
- Corporate monitorships
- Consumer finance litigation
- Internal investigations
- Represented proprietary trading firm and its principal in litigation initiated by CFTC alleging spoofing and manipulation in futures markets.
- Represent independent compliance monitor of a multinational pharmaceutical company convicted of violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented large national bank in litigation by a municipal government under the Fair Housing Act.
- Represented Chief Executive Officer of technology company in SEC enforcement action involving internal control over financial reporting and alleged accounting fraud, resolving the matter without charges.
- Represent proprietary trading firms and investment banks in investigations by the CFTC, SEC, FINRA, and futures and stock exchanges, and in related private litigation, involving manipulation, disruptive trading, and spoofing in futures and equities markets.
- Represent large investment bank in a CFTC inquiry into allegations of anti-competitive conduct in swaps market.
- Represent large national bank in parallel criminal and civil inquiries by Department of Justice concerning compliance with Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering requirements.
- Represented senior employees of major airline in criminal and civil False Claims Act investigations by Department of Justice.
- Represent special litigation committees of the Boards of Directors of two pharmaceutical companies in investigations into shareholders' derivative allegations of accounting and disclosure fraud.
- Represented Chief Compliance Officer of registered investment adviser in SEC enforcement action under Investment Advisers Act and Investment Company Act, resolving matter without charges.
- Represent hospitals in self-disclosures to US Attorney's Office regarding potential health care fraud, resolving the matters without charges.
July 9, 2018
January 25, 2018
May 31, 2017
July 8, 2016
April 29, 2016
April 19, 2016
September 4, 2017
Presentations and Events
PresenterJanuary 24, 2018
Speaker | Litigation UpdateOctober 26, 2017
Participant | Chicago Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee MeetingOctober 5, 2017
Presenter | Government Enforcement in 2017 and Beyond | Chicago Bar Association Consumer Law in 2017 and BeyondMarch 30, 2017
Panelist | Housing Finance and TILA: A Look at the Supreme Court’s Cert Grant in Jesinoski v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. and Other Important Issues Arising Under the Truth In Lending ActSeptember 12, 2014
Speaker | CFPB Proposed Rule MakingJune 2–5, 2014
ACA International 2013 Fall Forum & ExpoNovember 7, 2013
The 2013 Five Star Conference and ExpoUnderstanding UDAAP and Emerging Regulations in ComplianceSeptember 10, 2013