Within our overall real estate finance practice, Katten's Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities group is one of the largest CMBS finance practices in the country. Our clients are among the most prolific CMBS lenders, and we assist them at every step of the origination process — from term sheet to securitization.
Guidance through every stage
With experience dating back to the first days of this asset class, our attorneys are equipped to steer clients through every stage of the CMBS process. At origination, we structure, negotiate and draft documentation for all types of CMBS transactions, and we efficiently provide the underlying due diligence to ensure a smooth loan closing and securitization. We leverage the experience of Katten's structured finance professionals to address the complex tax and regulatory issues that are unique to CMBS lending. After securitization, we provide counsel on servicing matters, with a particular focus on loan defeasance transactions. Our clients appreciate the cradle-to-grave representation we provide.
A national perspective
Our real estate department consists of 120 attorneys, all of them alert to the unique challenges present in securitized real estate finance transactions. We are joined by the 30-plus attorneys of Katten's Structured Finance and Securitization group, who bring a breadth and depth of experience to all CMBS transactions. As needed, we draw on our colleagues in tax, corporate, securities and finance to create integrated teams fully capable of handling the most complex CMBS lending transactions.
"Katten . . . is one of our primary providers for ABS and CMBS work. Their attorneys are excellent, and they are leaders in the field."
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2019 "Best Law Firms"
(Securitization and Structured Finance Law) survey response
- Represent financial institution as lender in origination of $47 million CMBS loan secured by historic hotel in downtown San Diego.
- Represent financial institution in $62.5 million loan secured by 400,000-square-foot shopping center in Yuma, Arizona. One of the largest CMBS securitizations of property closed in recent years.
- Represent multinational banking and financial services company in origination of $108 million loan secured by 14 multifamily properties in Florida. Transaction required simultaneously effectuating defeasance of existing CMBS loan secured by 13 collateral properties, merger of existing entity into borrower and Florida assignment of two existing loans.
- Represent financial institution regarding resecuritization of $88 million of FREMF 2011-K14 Class X2 and Class C Certificates as issuer’s counsel with respect to Re-REMIC trust, Multifamily Mortgage Certificate-Backed Certificates and Series 2016-FRR16 certificates.
- Represent financial institution as loan seller's counsel regarding several conduit CMBS transactions in aggregate of $1 billion+.
Katten Advances in Underwriter League Table in 2019 US ABS/MBS Securitization Counsel Mid-Year RankingsNews | July 17, 2019
Event | April 26, 2018
Event | November 16, 2017
Event | October 19, 2017
Event | September 28, 2017