Claims involving misappropriation and infringement of intellectual property can jeopardize a company's profitability and future. Katten defends and enforces the rights of some of the world's most recognizable brands. From strategic counseling involving patents and trademarks to defending clients against claims on infringement and leading tactical enforcement actions against infringers, we help clients protect their brand investments, image and goodwill and ensure continued success.
A business approach to IP disputes
We partner with clients on litigation strategies that reflect their business goals. By understanding their brands, philosophy and business, we can determine which strategy is needed. Whether obtaining court orders to halt violators, suggesting creative resolutions in mediation or strategically defending against claims, we address the full spectrum of IP litigation issues in:
- Deceptive and unfair trade practices
- Defamation and libel
- Domain names
- False advertising
- First Amendment claims
- Patent infringement
- Preliminary injunctions
- Rights of publicity
- Temporary restraining orders
- Trademarks, service marks, trade identity, infringement and defense
- Trade libel
- Trade secrets
Going the distance to protect IP investments
Innovative companies often face novel challenges. Our attorneys have long been leaders in shaping the rules that protect, govern and defend intellectual property. We have pioneered state legislation related to trade secrets, cybersquatting and dilution, and we played a significant role in music and textbook copyright claims. We bring that perspective to litigating cases involving matters as diverse as technology in aircraft, tornado-making machinery at famous theme parks, food flavors, film scripts and generic pharmaceuticals.
Katten's deep bench of IP litigators has been tested and proven in state and federal courts nationwide. We are often successful in summary judgment motions, easing litigation budgets and ending disputes. When matters proceed to trial, our experienced advocates know where to find and present key evidence to sway judges and juries. Additionally, we uphold IP protections before the US International Trade Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the US Patent and Trademark Office, and the Trademark and Trial Appeal Board.
"A client reports: 'They do exceptional work. They are a good firm with a strong litigation practice.'"
Chambers USA 2018
(Illinois, Intellectual Property) survey response
- Represent insurance company regarding development of trade secret protection protocol for protection of trade secret and intellectual property content in employee manuals.
- Defend motion picture studio in trade secret litigation involving the weather/tornado technology used in a theme park attraction.
- Defended media company against a plaintiff who alleged that client had stolen the ideas for two of its popular cable network interior design TV shows. While our motion for summary judgment as to all idea theft, misappropriation of trade secrets and fraud was pending, the case was resolved amicably by settlement to the complete satisfaction of client.
- Represent provider of real-time information and analytics for the Internet, telecommunications and entertainment industries in complex trade secret litigation filed in Virginia against one of the client's direct competitors and against client's former employees. We obtained preliminary injunction in the case which involved allegations of unauthorized remote entry to client's computer systems and customer databases, and misappropriation of certain trade secrets as competitor launched competing domain name services.
- Represent ingredient company in trade secrets misappropriation case, after company's chief chemist went to direct competitor and was accused of bringing with her proprietary and highly secretive formulas. Obtained injunction and consent decree on behalf of, and very favorable to, our client.
- Represent innovative start-up company against multinational corporation for theft of trade secrets and breach of nondisclosure agreement related to beverage container manufacturing technology. Obtained favorable settlement that compelled withdrawal of improperly filed patent applications.
- Defended theme restaurant in a trade secrets case alleging our client's owners were stealing plaintiff's intellectual property and trade secrets. We defended against motions for preliminary injunctions and, ultimately, the litigation was resolved on terms that were favorable to our client.
- Represented American multinational telecommunications company in trade secrets case filed against it by software provider. After we filed a motion to dismiss, software provider agreed to settle the litigation.
- Prosecute claims for medical group involving patient lists before jury in Kalispell, Montana. A favorable jury verdict was upheld by the Montana Supreme Court.
- Represent one of the world's largest manufacturers of diamond grinding wheels in trade secret case involving process surrounding development of optical lenses.
- Represented leading manufacturer of traffic safety equipment against former employee and company that employed him for theft of trade secrets and unfair competition. Obtained favorable settlement that compelled transfer of improperly obtained patent rights and redesign of competing product.
- Represent bakery whose cookies were a target of industrial espionage in famous cookie caper litigation which involved allegedly highly secretive process for making soft-chewy cookies.
News | December 20, 2019
News | November 1, 2019
Publication | Fall 2019
News | September 13, 2019
News | September 5, 2019