About Steven J. Reisman
Steven Reisman advises clients on a wide range of bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors' rights matters. His work helps creditors maximize their recoveries, allows debtors to wind down or restructure as they desire and helps investors to locate hidden opportunity.
Understanding the unique needs of bankruptcy proceeding participants
Steve is highly experienced in all aspects of Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, as well as insolvency issues arising from transactions and out-of-court restructurings. He is particularly well-versed in the unique needs of parties to Chapter 11 proceedings, such as trustees, secured lenders, governmental entities, creditors' committees, indenture trustees, liquidators, secured and unsecured creditors, creditors' committees, shareholders, and defendants in avoidance actions.
Steve also advises investors seeking opportunities in Chapter 11 bankruptcies through the purchase of bankruptcy claims or other means. His clients benefit from his understanding of the needs of all stakeholders, which allows them to negotiate more effectively during bankruptcy proceedings.
His insolvency experience does not end at the US border. Steve has been involved in proceedings with clients in markets such as Mexico, Argentina and Canada, among others.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Insolvency issues, including cross-border insolvency issues
- Third-party acquisition of bankruptcy claims or assets
- Conflicts counsel to guarantor of public and structured finance obligations regarding Puerto Rican bonds insured by client.
- Represent leading American producer of coal regarding corporate matters, asset transactions and securities law work.
- Defend San Francisco-based private equity firm in substantial avoidance litigation and claims prosecution.
- Defend investment advisor against alleged appraisal malpractice.
- Represent asset manager in litigation matters.
- Represent engineering and construction unit of a sustainable energy company in litigation pursuing contract claims.
- Provide restructuring advice to independent directors of an energy company regarding conflicts matters.
- Represent secured lenders to a specialty retailer in acquiring ownership of the company.
- Represent independent directors of a significant toy retailer.
- Represent premier wealth advisory firm as indenture trustee in issuances and defaults.
- Court-appointed independent representative of a significant bankruptcy estate before the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York in efforts to recover and distribute misappropriated funds.
- Defend American multinational technology manufacturer in potential preference actions.
September 12, 2019
September 12, 2019
June 11, 2019
April 25, 2019
February 21, 2019
September 13, 2018
June 14, 2018
May 3, 2018
April 18, 2018
- View All News
May 23, 2019
May 13, 2019
Taking It Back -- Recovering Transfers in BankruptcyFebruary 10, 2011
Reasonable Insecurity: Strategies for Doing Business with Financially Troubled CounterpartiesMarch 2010
Presentations and Events
American Bankruptcy Institute's 17th Annual New York City Bankruptcy ConferencePanelist | Fiduciary Duties from Ordinary Course, into Distress and Insolvency, and through BankruptcyMay 14, 2015
New York State Bar AssociationPresenter | Asset Sales in BankruptcyDecember 13, 2012
American Bankruptcy Institute's 14th Annual New York City Bankruptcy ConferencePanelist | Litigation Seeking to Enhance Creditor Recoveries: There Must Be Something Happening Other than MarshallMay 9, 2012
Mexican Institution for MediationKeynote Speaker | Chapter 11 of the US Bankruptcy CodeMay 2012
American Bankruptcy Institute's 12th Annual New York City Bankruptcy ConferencePanelist | SIPA Liquidations and Ponzi SchemesMay 24, 2010