About Michael G. Melzer
Michael Melzer paves the way for his clients to secure the financing they need to build for the future. Michael focuses on public finance matters and understands how to navigate regulatory requirements and find mutually beneficial solutions for every member of the deal team. His clients rely on him over and over again for his quick turnarounds and nimble problem-solving.
Smooth, efficient financing execution
Michael primarily works with state and local governments, leading investment banks, nonprofit entities and large institutional purchasers. He understands the importance of spotting potential issues well in advance, which allows him to efficiently handle complex transactions under tight time constraints.
In addition to his financing practice, Michael helps clients deal with regulatory enforcement actions, interest rate swaps and other financial derivative agreements, and nonprofit/for-profit mergers and acquisitions.
- Public, private and restricted bond and other debt financings
- Public-private partnerships
- Infrastructure and project finance
- Regulatory enforcement actions
- Compliance reviews
- Municipal workouts and restructuring
- Bond counsel for more than $8 billion general obligation bonds; $4 billion airport revenue bonds; $3 billion convention, hotel and sports facility revenue bonds; $1.5 billion health care and senior living revenue bonds; $1.25 billion passenger rail bonds and notes; $1.25 billion clean and drinking water state revolving fund bonds; $800 million electric system revenue bonds; $675 million higher education revenue bonds and certificates of participation; $600 million park district and harbor bonds; $400 million wastewater revenue bonds; and $1.5 billion commercial paper bonds.
- Underwriter’s or disclosure counsel for more than $4.5 billion general obligation bonds; $2.5 billion health care and senior living revenue bonds; $1.75 billion airport revenue bonds; $1.5 billion higher education revenue bonds; $700 million wastewater revenue bonds; $600 million municipal lease revenue bonds, including 63-20 bonds; and $400 million electric system revenue bonds.
- Borrower’s or special counsel for more than $1.1 billion multifamily housing bonds; $800 million higher education revenue bonds; $600 million health care and senior living revenue bonds; $400 million pollution control bonds; and $150 million fixed-base operator revenue bonds.
- Placement agent or purchaser’s counsel for more than $600 million passenger rail revenue bonds; $295 million state general obligation bonds; $275 million wastewater revenue bonds; $160 million multifamily housing revenue bonds; and $40 million surface water revenue bonds.
- Counsel involving public-private partnerships for airport passenger terminal facilities; consolidated rental car facilities; water and sewer utility systems; and metered parking systems and parking garages.
- Tax counsel for IRS ruling requests including private use of tax-advantaged financed hotel and sporting facilities; IRS audit defense; and the organization of, and exemption application for, nonprofit entities.
- Regulatory counsel to seven national underwriting firms and dozens of issuers and obligated persons in connection with the SEC's MCDC initiative; counsel to underwriting firms and municipal advisors in SEC and MSRB enforcement actions including pay-to-play and Rule 15c2-12 enforcement actions.
- Counsel in workouts involving Florida, Illinois and Washington conduit revenue bonds; Indiana, New York and Tennessee low-income and tax credit housing facilities; special service area bonds; and road district debt certificates.
- Counsel to a municipal corporation navigating disclosure and legislative remedies for state non-appropriation.
- Counsel for state Medicaid and other vendor payment programs.
August 1, 2017
April 23, 2015
October 14, 2014
May 1, 2017
Zeigler Analytical Team MeetingFebruary 24, 2016