About Lisa Atlas Genecov
Lisa Atlas Genecov, national chair of the firm's Health Care practice, counsels health care providers in connection with major transactions and regulatory issues, helping them to discover strategic opportunities under federal and state health care laws. She has decades of experience structuring transactions and implementing affiliations that achieve her clients' goals.
Major deals, major opportunities
In transactional matters, Lisa has particularly deep experience with mergers and acquisitions, frequently involving private equity. She previously acted as lead transaction counsel for a network of nonprofit hospitals in a deal that created the largest member-owned health care company in the United States. On the regulatory side, she has advised on compliance issues with initiatives ranging from virtual care programs and mobile apps, to ambulatory surgery centers jointly owned by hospitals and physicians.
Lisa's clients include health systems, hospitals, medical groups and other health care providers. In addition to counseling clients on acquisitions of entire hospitals or service lines, she also advises on various strategies to align the incentives of physicians, hospitals and payors, and the agreements reflecting such relationships. She also assists clients with physician recruitment, physician practice management, corporate practice of medicine prohibitions and fee-splitting issues.
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Health care fraud and abuse issues
- Stark law
- Licensure and change of ownership matters
- Corporate governance
- Represented large health care network of nonprofit hospitals in an acquisition of one of the largest US alliances of nonprofit academic medical centers. *
- Represented an ambulatory surgery center co-owned by a health system and physicians in connection with its development, syndication, real estate, regulatory, finance, governance and other legal matters.
- Represented private equity group in acquisition of large anesthesia practice management company and its affiliated anesthesia medical practice. *
- Represent an anesthesia platform company of a private equity group in its acquisition of anesthesia practices in the United States.
- Represent home health company in its acquisition activities of other home health companies in various regions of the US.
- Represented home health company in an investment of equity by a venture capital firm in connection with a loan transaction.
- Represent large health system in development of a virtual hospital at home program.
- Represent a regional nonprofit organization in forming a nonprofit physician organization for delivery of primary care services in connection with pursuing alternative payment models.
- Represented a dermatology practice in its acquisition by a large private equity group. *
- Represented large, regional nonprofit health system in joint venture with national health care payor regarding health plans and insured and self-insured products. Combined integrated care teams, health insurance benefits and administrative services to promote efficiencies and lower costs of care. *
- Represented urgent care, occupational medicine and health care work site company in numerous acquisitions of primary care physician practices across the United States. *
- Represented large, national for-profit health system with change of ownership, notifications and related filings and other health care regulatory matters in its $4.4 billion acquisition of another large health system. *
- Represented national hospice care operator in acquisition of various hospice agencies around the United States. Also served as lead transaction counsel in sale of the hospice care operator to larger hospice care company. *
- Represented large, regional nonprofit health system on developing its virtual care program. Addressed regulatory issues, prepared and negotiated contracts, and structured various affiliations for the provision of telemedicine and digital health services. *
- Represented large national health care system with respect to physician telemedicine initiatives. Addressed Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law and other regulatory issues; privacy and security issues; Medicare and state law reimbursement issues; and multiple vendor contract issues. *
- Represented digital health/mobile app company on health care regulatory matters, including HIPAA privacy and security issues. *
- Represented national physician practice management company in joint venture transaction with Texas nonprofit health system for development of urgent care centers. *
- Represented large, for-profit health system on health care regulatory matters in joint venture with large, national ambulatory surgical services company. *
- Represented Texas nonprofit regional health system in acquisition of large cardiology practice. *
- Represented revenue cycle solutions subsidiary of large for-profit health system in joint venture with large Catholic health system regarding revenue cycle services. *
- Represented national health care staffing company in acquisitions of other staffing companies and a technology company providing scheduling and other management solutions. *
- Represented proton cancer treatment center developer in health care regulatory, corporate and transactional matters for development and operation of proton treatment centers with academic medical centers in several states. *
September 23, 2022
August 18, 2022
June 1, 2022
April 22, 2022
September 22, 2021
August 19, 2021
July 15, 2021
May 20, 2021
April 23, 2021
- View All News
November 4, 2022
November 10, 2020
November 12, 2019
October 21, 2019
October 17, 2019
May 6, 2019
Presentations and Events
September 28, 2022Katten Health Care SymposiumModerator | Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Private Equity – Transaction Trends and Tips
April 7-8, 2022Moderator | Getting Private Equity and Hospital Physician Deals Done During the Pandemic and Beyond
October 17–19, 2021Moderator | The Current Landscape of Healthcare M&A
April 7-9, 2021The University of Texas School of Law 32nd Annual Health Law ConferenceModerator | Getting Deals Done: The Influence of COVID and New Players in the Market
March 17, 2021Dallas Bar AssociationPresenter | Keeping Your Deal Healthy: Representation and Warranty Insurance in Healthcare Transactions
November 5, 2020Speaker
October 29, 2020Katten Health Care Symposium: The Business of Health Care in the Wake of COVID, the Election and Social UncertaintyPresenter
January 21, 2020Presenter
September 12–14, 2019Participant | Navigating Physician Acquisitions—Private Equity & Health System Buyers
- View All Presentations and Events