About Ryan J. Meyer
Ryan Meyer defends companies and executives in government investigations, civil enforcement actions and criminal proceedings typically involving allegations of securities fraud and health care fraud. During the most stressful moments of their careers, Ryan helps companies and executives fight back when the entire apparatus of the government is bearing down on them.
Reputations and relationships can make all the difference in litigation with the government
Ryan works with middle market companies and executives accused of Medicare and Medicaid fraud, bribery, kickback and corruption, as well as qui tam suits alleging violations of federal and state civil false claims acts. Committed to being proactive on behalf of his clients, Ryan dives deep on his client's cases, often avoiding indictment altogether while minimizing financial and reputational disruption.
Ryan has defended clients before a wide variety of federal and state agencies, including the Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the US Department of Health and Human Services—Office of Inspector General, and the Securities and Exchange Commission, among others. Ryan has developed a special proficiency in most areas of health care over the last several years because of the numerous cases he and his group have handled. As a result, Ryan is able to advise clients on suspicious or suspect patterns of behavior by employees and/or contractors, or on patterns that will appear suspicious or suspect to the government or commercial payers.
Prior to joining Katten, Ryan served as a law clerk for Chief Judge Ricardo H. Hinojosa of the Southern District of Texas and as an associate at a large Texas law firm.
- White-collar criminal and regulatory defense
- Health care
- Anti-Kickback Statute
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud
- False Claims Act
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Securities regulation and enforcement
- Defended pain physician in nationwide investigation and prosecution of physicians who had participated in Insys’ “Speaker’s Program” to promote their opioid, Subsys. Through a proactive and aggressive defense, convinced the Department of Justice to transition the physician from a designated target to a designated witness within five months.
- Defend multibillion-dollar multi-national conglomerate in sprawling SEC investigation into alleged fraudulent misrepresentations in securities offerings and violations of the Investment Advisors Act by an affiliate.
- Defend high-profile owner and executive in complex multibillion-dollar financial misconduct investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Defend one of the largest physician practice groups along the Texas-Mexico border in a US House of Representatives investigation into alleged COVID-19 price-gouging.
- Defend multi-national’s CFO in grand jury investigation into alleged bank fraud.
- Defend multiple durable medical equipment and specialty pharmacy owners in Operation Brace Yourself, the Department of Justice’s nationwide prosecution of two dozen defendants allegedly responsible for over $1.2 billion in Medicare fraud.
- Defend union officer in a Department of Labor and US Attorney’s Office investigation into potential public corruption through the closure of the investigation with no action taken by the government.
- Defend multiple specialty laboratory owners in Operation Double Helix, the Department of Justice’s nationwide prosecution of nearly three dozen defendants allegedly responsible for over $2.1 billion in Medicare fraud.
- Defend co-founder and chief executive of oil and gas-focused alternative asset fund in SEC investigation into alleged offering and accounting fraud.
- Defend pharmacist owners of specialty pharmacies in multi-year grand jury investigations into alleged Tricare and private insurance fraud related to compound pharmaceuticals.
- Represent multiple clients in criminal forfeiture actions against the US Attorney’s Office to successfully recover funds improperly seized by the United States.
- Represent multiple owners of specialty pharmacies in grand jury investigations into alleged compound pharmacy fraud with respect to both government and private payors.
- Defend multiple physician groups from False Claims Act investigations into alleged overbilling of pain treatments (US District Court for the Western District of Texas), laboratory services (US District Court for the Northern District of Texas) and implantable neurostimulators (US District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas).
- Defend multiple health care practitioners, including hospitals, dental practices and ancillary providers, in Texas Health and Human Services Commission Office of Inspector General investigations.
- Defended physician-owned medical practice in a criminal investigation involving allegations of health care fraud, tax fraud, and wire and mail fraud. Through an aggressive defense, the government took no action against the individual physician owners. *
- Defended provider-owned dental practice in a qui tam Federal False Claims Act whistleblower lawsuit and parallel federal criminal and civil investigations. *
- Represented publicly traded real estate investment fund in an SEC investigation and a parallel DOJ criminal investigation. Secured a no-admit, no-deny settlement with the SEC with no payment of disgorgement or penalties by the fund. *
- Defended multiple individuals and companies against various SEC accounting and asset valuation investigations. *
- Defended numerous companies and individuals in federal and state whistleblower lawsuits and resulting civil and criminal investigations conducted by HHS-OIG, the FBI, the FDA, US Attorneys' Offices, and state Medicaid officials. *
- Assisted in internal investigation of a large insurance-benefits manager to determine the source and scope of a potential data breach. Also advised on implementation of remedial measures. *
September 23, 2022
August 18, 2022
June 8, 2022
May 25, 2022
March 29, 2022
November 10, 2021
August 19, 2021
July 7, 2021
March 26, 2021
- View All News
October 28, 2022
September 16, 2022
March 7, 2022
Winter 2016/2017Do's and Don'ts All Counsel Should Know About Government Investigations
Presentations and Events
October 13, 2022Texas General Counsel ForumPresenter | Ethical Issues in Internal Investigations
October 10–11, 2022Texas Health Law ConferencePresenter | Enforcement in Private Equity Health Care: A Burgeoning Trend?
September 28, 2022Katten Health Law SymposiumPresenter | Investigations & Enforcement Update
October 7–9, 2018Presenter | The Largest Healthcare Enforcement Action in U.S. History: Why it Happened and How to Avoid Being a Part of the Next One
April 27, 2018Association of Corporate Counsel Annual In-House SymposiumPresenter | Anti-Corruption Training and Compliance