About Anthony L. Paccione
Anthony is known for handling high-stakes business litigations of all types in an aggressive but practical way. He approaches cases with a goal to avoid nonsense and plot the straightest line to the endgame. With that style, he has compiled a track record of successes including a complete victory for a real estate company in a fast-moving billion-dollar dispute, a dismissal of nine-figure lender-liability claims against a syndicate of lenders and a dismissal of all claims against one of the world's largest credit insurance companies. Anthony is equally comfortable representing plaintiffs and defendants, in courtrooms throughout the United States as well as in arbitrations and ADR fora.
An instructive approach
Anthony doesn't just resolve disputes for banks, hedge funds, real estate companies and other businesses; he helps avoid them in the first place. He outlines steps businesses can take to protect themselves from possible claims and, when a matter ends, conducts a "lessons learned" program. His broad experience – which includes Ponzi scheme cases, contract disputes, corporate law, financial services litigation financial and international proceedings – allows him to design strategies that anticipate the full range of possibilities.
Anthony knows that disputes in the public eye require a deft multi-prong strategy. He has represented clients in claims arising from the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme, including one that spawned international proceedings in the United States, United Kingdom, Gibraltar and the Cayman Islands. When he represented a real estate company in a billion-dollar dispute over the sale of the nation's largest federally subsidized housing development, the media kept a close watch. In each case, Anthony found the right balance between public relations concerns and aggressive advocacy.
- Business/complex commercial litigation
- Real estate disputes
- Hedge fund litigation and disputes
- Financial institution litigation and disputes
- Securities litigation and enforcement
- Arbitration and mediation
- Cryptocurrency, blockchain and digital ledger technology
- Defend owners of one of the largest federally subsidized housing developments in the country in litigation seeking to prevent the $905 million sale of that complex.
- Represented bank syndicate in $500 million litigation involving Town Square Mall in Las Vegas. Prevailed all the way through appeals heard by the Supreme Court of the State of Nevada.
- Defend lender against claims arising out of a failed resort/residential development involving loan default, conditions precedent to draw requests, fraud, fraudulent transfers, violation of transfer prohibitions and unjust enrichment.
- Represent agent bank in claims to recover losses on a loan made to finance a film distribution company.
- Represent construction loan lender in billion-dollar, multidistrict litigation relating to the Fontainebleau Las Vegas resort.
- Defend Farm Credit Bank against allegations of wrongful redemption of $500 million subordinated notes.
- Defended a global leader in the credit insurance market in New York State Court Commercial Part action asserting tort claims. Obtained dismissal of all claims before discovery that was sustained on appeal to First Department.
- Defend private investment fund against claims that it caused an unrelated hedge fund’s losses in BLMIS Ponzi scheme. All of the $2.9 billion claims were dismissed in Federal District Court and sustained on appeal by the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Represent major financial institution in action seeking to recover substantial losses caused when money market “broke the buck.”
- Represent numerous institutions, partnerships, hedge funds, investment managers and individuals in connection with highly publicized Ponzi schemes, including Madoff, West Gate and Stanford.
- Defend futures commodities merchant against multimillion-dollar fraudulent conveyance claims.
- Represent several hedge funds in SEC, New York Attorney General and CFTC investigations and related civil lawsuits arising from mutual fund market timing trading practices.
- Represent public company and senior management in federal securities class action, related derivative cases and SEC investigation. Obtained dismissal of all class and derivative claims. Appeal is pending.
- Represent defendants in securities fraud action brought by investors in a hedge fund that invested in subprime automobile finance loans.
- Represent trader in FINRA investigation concerning credit default swaps.
- Represent president of public utility company in shareholder derivative actions.
September 12, 2019
June 11, 2019
September 13, 2018
May 8, 2018
December 18, 2017
September 20, 2017
September 21, 2016
August 15, 2016
September 16, 2015
- View All News
April 2, 2018
July 18, 2017
Ponzi Scheme Clawback LitigationApril 2013
June 21, 2012
June 9, 2011
November 8, 2010
September 30, 2010
November 6, 2009
October 16, 2009
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
October 10, 2019
The Evolution of the Application of Law to Blockchain Technology and Cryptoassets: Where Have We Come From and Where Are We Going?June 26, 2019
ABA Section of International Law Annual ConferenceApril 18, 2018
Trading Bitcoin: Legal and Compliance Considerations for Trading and Facilitating Transactions in BitcoinDecember 13, 2017
November 7, 2017
October 27, 2016
October 22, 2015
October 6, 2015
October 16, 2014
- View All Presentations and Events