About Edward A. Tran
Edward advises clients worldwide on corporate and transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions (M&A), private equity, joint ventures, fund investments, co-investments and other direct investment transactions, equity and debt financings, and corporate governance matters. He is based in the London office and has practiced law in New York and Silicon Valley. Edward regularly counsels clients on cross-border matters involving the UK, the broader EMEA region, the United States and Asia.
International advisor to clients across industries
Edward represents a range of clients including institutional investors, private equity firms, real estate private equity funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, sponsors, investment managers, family offices, financial institutions and corporations across a wide range of sectors, including real estate, financial services, technology, manufacturing, oil and gas, and logistics.
Edward regularly advises investors on fund investments, co-investments and indirect investments in real estate assets. He frequently assists clients on joint venture arrangements, club deals, closed-end funds and other investments where real estate is the underlying asset.
Edward also counsels charities on cross-border structuring and governance matters.
- Private equity
- Joint ventures
- Real estate private equity
- Corporate governance
- Represented pension funds and other institutional investors on a range of investment transactions.
- Represented a US asset manager in connection with the restructuring of certain aspects of its European private equity business and other corporate matters.
- Represented joint venture partners in connection with acquisition of the JV interests held by a third partner, the restructuring of the JV and the sale and leaseback of the JV’s real estate assets.
- Represented a UK-based investment firm in connection with the acquisition of various hotel and leisure businesses in the UK, including structuring the arrangements for the consortium funding the transaction.
- Represented a US buyer in connection with the acquisition of a UK-based technology company.
- Representing an Asian private equity fund in connection with its joint venture with a UK partner.
- Representing a joint venture vehicle backed by a consortium of Asia-based investors in connection with the purchase of a data centre by the JV and the negotiation of the related joint venture arrangements.
- Representing a US fund investor in connection with an investment in a UK-based emerging growth business in the retail sector.
- Represented global real estate fund sponsor, asset manager and developer in various real estate investments, disposals, joint ventures, syndications and recapitalisations in Europe. *
- Represented investor in the sale and leaseback of hospital properties in the United Kingdom. *
- Represented sovereign wealth funds and pension funds in investments in private equity funds, real estate funds, co-investment vehicles and joint ventures. *
- Represented a cross-border credit fund in the acquisition of a portfolio comprised of non-performing loans. *
- Represented a REIT in its capacity as a financing provider and development partner in the management buy-out of a developer/operator of senior care homes in the United Kingdom. *
- Represented a Middle East-based family office in acquisitions, dispositions, investments and corporate structuring matters. *
- Represented marine terminal service provider in the acquisition of global ports and terminals business, as well as various other acquisitions and joint ventures. *
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in the acquisition of a business based in the Middle East and the buyout of its joint venture partner's stake in a joint venture. *
- Represented satellite company on various matters including its debt and equity investments in, and acquisition of, a satellite-based communications system. *
- Represented US asset manager in its European private equity funds, including structuring and joint venture matters. *
- Represented an international fund in its acquisition of a school assessment business. *
- Represented a Middle East-based business group and its shareholders in a strategic transaction involving a private equity fund. *
December 1, 2020
November 18, 2020
May 28, 2020
Katten UK Named a Leading Firm in Finance, Real Estate, and Corporate and Commercial by The Legal 500 United KingdomNovember 27, 2018
April 9, 2018
October 6, 2020
June 11, 2020
April 15, 2020
April 6, 2020
November 19, 2019
ILPA Principles 3.0: Focusing on Enhancing Transparency in Private Equity Funds and Alternative InvestmentsAugust 5, 2019
January 29, 2019
December 14, 2018
August 9, 2018
- View All Publications
Presentations and Events
Moderator | Scene-setting: European real estate’s largest investors survey - the landscape as we enter a new decadeNovember 17–18, 2020
PresenterMay 15, 2019