With a global team experienced in dispute resolution and a vast array of industries, Katten is well-positioned to advise and lead our clients through the complex framework of international arbitrations involving cross-border commercial relationships, high-stakes projects and investments around the world.
Trusted international dispute resolution counsel
Our team has acted as lead counsel in arbitrations conducted before the World Bank’s International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague (PCA), the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and other arbitral bodies, as well as cases conducted under the rules of the United National Commission on International Trade and Law (UNCITRAL).
Addressing and managing disputes in context
In a dynamic environment involving ever-changing economic and geopolitical circumstances, we understand the challenges inherent in international disputes. While strong advocates, we possess the cultural awareness necessary to achieve the goals of our clients, whether multinational corporations, investors, governments or individuals.
- Represented a Central Asian country in over a dozen ICSID arbitrations and other cases under ICC, SCC and UNCITRAL/PCA rules, involving claims under bilateral investment treaties with Turkey, Russia, Germany and the United Kingdom, and in contract disputes, including billion-dollar claims regarding telecommunications, mining, construction, infrastructure and agriculture projects. *
- Represented a South American country and its national oil company, in arbitrations and court proceedings involving disputes in the oil and gas, maritime and telecommunications industries *
- Represented a Central Asian country in connection with cost recovery disputes with international oil companies operating major oil production projects under long-term production sharing agreements. *
- Represented a European country in an ICSID annulment proceeding, winning annulment of a €128 million award in a dispute regarding renewable energy regulations, and in multiple US court proceedings relating to enforcement of arbitral awards. *
- Represented a major motion picture producer in an arbitration against a German motion picture distributor that breached the terms of its distribution agreement by, among other things, failing to pay the US$ 4 million minimum guaranty for the right to distribute a well-regarded theatrical motion picture in its territories.
- Defended a consortium of German insurance companies, who acted as guarantors for the completion of a Canadian-produced motion picture, in an arbitration commenced by the production financier of the motion picture, which claimed that the insurers were obligated but refused to perform under the completion guaranty.
- Represented a European country in multiple ICSID arbitrations brought under the Energy Charter Treaty and intra-EU BITs in disputes regarding renewable energy regulations. *
- Represented a European country in an ICSID arbitration brought by a European national in a dispute concerning ownership of real property. *
- Represented a European country and the state-owned oil company in an ICC arbitration brought by a North American company in a dispute concerning oilfield operations. *
- Represented a Middle Eastern country in its first-ever ICSID arbitration against a consortium of European construction companies regarding a US$1 billion highway and infrastructure project. *
- Represented a North African country in an ICSID arbitration brought by a European construction company involving highway and infrastructure projects. *
- Represented a Middle Eastern country in multiple international arbitrations arising out of a regional diplomatic blockade. *
- Served as lead arbitration counsel for claimant Asian pharmaceutical company in licensing and marketing dispute with US-based multinational pharmaceutical company before the Singapore International Arbitration Centre; obtained eight-figure arbitral award for client, as well as substantial award of legal fees. *
Event | September 19, 2023
News | August 7, 2023
News | July 26, 2023
Author, "Advisory Board Manual on Universal Citation in International Arbitration," Global Arbitration Review, 2d ed., 2023, 1st ed., 2018Publication | 2023
Co-author, "Papers and Proceedings of the 14th Annual Juris Conference on Investment Treaty Arbitration," Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law, Volume 14, 2021Publication | 2021